Red Dots for ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother just picked up his first AR. I don't know much about them and want to get him a red dot for christmas. Do you guys have any good recommendations for one? I've found a couple in the $500 range and I'm really wanting something cheaper but that's still a decent quality sight. Thanks in advance

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he's only going to break it out for an annual range trip and pop 200rds through it, then I wouldn't get an Aimpoint - get a Vortex or Primary Arms clone.

If he actually plans on using it (or might actually depend on it for home-defense), then by all means - get an Aimpoint.

I just picked up a used ML3 w/LaRue mount off of AR15.com (I got the Dillo as well - I'm actually more excited about that than anything :thumb:).

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for looking these up for me. So along with the sight he's also going to need a mount I assume? The one from ebay that GTG posted had the mount included. So how much does a mount run?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mounts can run anywhere from $50 all the way to $200 (you don't get much for under $80-100). Many consider the Larue Tactical mounts to be one of the best available. They run around $130-140. Larue offers some package deals, but I think they were over your target budget.

http://www.laruetactical.com/

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm convinced that the LaRue mounts are worth the money - ADM makes a good mount as well, but I would air on the side of caution before getting a cheaper mount (especially from an unknown source).

Check out a place like bravocompanyusa.com or other known good source if you're looking to pick up a mount.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not starting the Aimpoint vs Eotech debate on which one is better but you may also want to look at an Eotech. Depending on which Eotech you want, you can definitely get them under $500. Also Eotech has a rebate program going on right now, I think you can anywhere from $25-$70 back in the form of a rebate.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not starting the Aimpoint vs Eotech debate on which one is better but you may also want to look at an Eotech. Depending on which Eotech you want, you can definitely get them under $500. Also Eotech has a rebate program going on right now, I think you can anywhere from $25-$70 back in the form of a rebate.

Thanks I appreciate it! Just trying to do my homework before I go check them out in person. Appreciate all your help guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom