Remember the diy auto shops?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I lived in OKC 3 or 4 years ago there was a place there called Shadetree DIY, I only know because they advertised a lot on the sports animal. Never went there but I liked the idea. I don;t think it is still in business...

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to ride motorcycles with the guy that opened Shadetree in Midwest City. Lost touch and never heard how it turned out, guess it's closed now tho.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to ride motorcycles with the guy that opened Shadetree in Midwest City. Lost touch and never heard how it turned out, guess it's closed now tho.

I just looked them up to see if they were still open. They moved the shop to Florida due to PSC for his wife's career is the info I found.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tinker still has a DIY auto hobby shop but they have been steadily raising prices since I've been stationed there. Was like 2 dollars per hour to rent a lift and tool chest.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NAS Lemoore had a base hobby shop that was either free or very minimal, I could afford it on a 60's E3 airman's pay. Rebuilt a flat head Ford and put a transmission in a 56 Pontiac using that hobby shop. Hard to remember the details. I had my own hand tools and thinking the shop had a few specialty tools you could borrow or rent. Do not remember a lift, I was laying on the ground when I did the transmission.

Whole different world today, my 2013 Caravan has 5 or 6 computers, gets an oil change every 10,000 miles and spark plugs at 100,000. Think it would be a tough go for a DIY shop even close to a military base. Cars are allot more complex and fewer young adults actually want to turn a wrench. The days of buying a 49 Ford for $25.00 and rebuilding the engine for less than $100 are long gone.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stillwater had a U-Auto-Fix-It in the early '80's. You could even rent their lift. Just for kicks, here is a pic of my car at my house.

Attachments

• lift.JPG
    lift.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Top Bottom