Rumor Check on CCW Renewal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a search on the OSA web site and found nothing, so I'll ask the question.

I've read on another forum that a Georgia CCW holder was informed that the Dept of Homeland Security has weighed in and mandated that all renewals, in all states, MUST go through the same train, test, questionnaire, records checks, finger prints, etc as the first time. I suspect this is BUNK. Is it Vermont that allows carry without any training, checks, etc?

Anyway - When does one renew their OK CCW and what is the drill?

TIA

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can we renew our licenses at any time?

I ask because if something like this came down the chute, there would be an effective date. If that date were next week, could I renew my license now (which doesn't expire for another 4 years) and obtain a 10-year license to further delay having to go through the trouble of all that mentioned above?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly off the top of my head, I think you are supposed to send in the renewal form and payment (~$25~) roughly 60 days before experation.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no Federal CCW permit or permitting system (maybe there is some limited system for Federal LE but not for regular citizens) and while gun sales do have a procedure to follow - the States essentially set up their own carry rules within their own boundaries.

You may, however, have been hearing some rumors (and that is all they are AFAIK) that have been stirred up because there is a bill, being studied in Congressional Committee, reference national CCW license reciprocity. Basically it proposes that CCW license holders be accorded similar privileges to driver's license holders. Since State licensing systems are much more varied for CCW than for driving (like none allowed in one state) there have been many "ideas" floated for how to level the system so that all states would have some confidence in each others' licenses. But nothing has been agreed to just a bunch of ideas being floated.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$25??? I thought it was $100 and $200 for 5 and 10 years respectively.

For all states to agree to most stringent laws is probably the only way that would happen, paranoid states like Illinois and California would never back down their requirements so the other states would have to step up.

I honest to god wouldn't mind an exam that required a little more knowledge than current and a profficiency/accuracy component as well. If you are going to let citizens carry firearms might as well make sure they are half decent with using said firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom