Rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevintx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When is the rut typically in the central part of the state? I'm hunting in Grady county and it seems like it is normally around rifle season. I jumped two bucks this week while scouting around and they were smelling pretty "rank" already.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read and heard a lot of people saying around the second week in November should kick off the rut. Good time to be bow hunting. Good luck!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any action yet. Another week and they should be moving well. I will be at big Mc for the archery hunt just about right.....I Hope.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6-point I shot yesterday was chasing a button buck - trying to get him out of his territory. Funny thing, the same 6-point was chasing him last Tuesday nite, but I couldn't get a shot then.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read alot about the rut and its timing, general rule the second full moon after the autum equinox with times going later the further south you go. I have kept records for the last 14 seasons and in N.E. Oklahoma you can figure the deer will peak in about 1-2 weeks. In the past two weeks they have went from little marking to full on rub lines and established scrapes, I shot a buck last weekend and his neck was not swelled nor did his tarsals stink real bad. My uncle killed a buck this weekend and he was starting to swell and smelled pretty rank. Our game cameras are showing the big boys hitting the feeders hard (one large 8 point was there for 2 hrs.) Get that rifle ready and be prepared for the second rut somewhere around 28 days after the first one, so don't quit practicing with the bow.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are chasing pretty hard in my area of NE Ok. I hunted Fri-Sun and saw bucks chasing every day. Most were yearling and 2.5 year olds, but one was a big mature buck chasing a couple does at mid day Sat. Surprised me he was chasing this early, usually the most seek and chase action is about Nov. 7th-15th in my area, or even a tad later. Starting a little early this year for some reason. Those bucks are gonna wear themselves out, cause the does are not gonna be receptive for a little while yet I don't think.

I took this 8 with my muzzleloader this morning, came in hot on the tail of a doe. I saw the upright tines so I knew he was at least an eight and decided to take him if he came into a clear path. A little smaller than I though he was, but I'm still happy with him. Tarsals dark and he reeked.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_246.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom