Rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUCowboy98

New to the site!
Reaction score
I had a couple of bucks fighting last weekend in Osage county, and a couple a small buck chasing does. A friend of mine in Enid tells me that they a rutting pretty good around his house.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a big 9-point walk across the road in front of me last night. A small 4-point came by my stand this morning and made a little rub. He wasn't a bit interested in my Primos Can call though.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a spot in the middle of a food plot today that was torn up, looked like two bucks were goin at it hard. I have been watching an area that bucks usually scrape and rub pretty hard and it is looking positive. I didn't hunt just walked and looked to see what the progress is looking like. I will be going to Mo. on the 13th to hunt with a friend I grew up with, he has a spot that is hardwoods dividing some corn and beans hope to get a couple up there.

JDunkle1226

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting in SE Kansas and I have not seen any rut activity. Really haven't even seen many bucks. Usually by this time the young bucks are out wandering around. Finally last weekend I found a couple fresh scrapes. Hopefully the weather will cool down soon.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to a friend today who went into the Mcalester AP hunt, he said there were more bucks moving there than he had ever seen before (he has drawn in three times.) From what I have seen on our lease the deer are moving more at night, but the bucks are chasing and definitly have their territory well marked.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a rub on a 12"+ diameter cedar yesterday. Lot's of scrapes, all worked heavily, I hunted all day Monday and Tuesday this week and never saw a deer at all. I'm going again tomorrow & Friday and we'll see what happens. I'd sure like to see that buck that rubbed the big cedar.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am gonna put a little code blue on a scrape near my stand friday evening and see what happens. It will either screw me over or I will be posting pictures of a buck by saturday evening. Just wish it was colder.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im having a hard time seeing deer in watonga (west central) we have wheat fields on both side of our bottoms and in the evening it is almost 100% chance of seeing does on the wheat field. but we have been hunting down in the bottoms on some good bottle necks but no deer???? moring or evening i had a nice 10 walk on me the sat morning but i spoked him as he was lokking in the bottom around some trees and i just moved my arm but other than that nothing down in the bottoms we have alot of stands and 3 hunters in a triangulated positions so if they are close one should see something and nothing. had lots of pics of big bucks in october and now cannot find them. are they moving at night? is the chase phase on? when is the best time to be in the woods? (chase, seek, rut) and where should i hunt. went out today and last night and did not see a deer! saw a bunch on the way on fields just does though. our fields are littered with deer tracks i mean 1 per square foot in a 200yrd x 100yrd area. should i try to sit on the other side of the field where they stage at in tall grass (they bed near by as well) just trying to get some additional info that might help me as i am hearing about all the deer movement and it seems in our area they might just be moving at night. sorry for the long post. thanks!

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out in NC OK Sat. morning expecting to see pretty good movement. Got set up in the Double Bull slightly before sunrise and sat there till
~ 9:30 when a doe popped out 75 yards away on a wheat field and kept on going at a pretty good clip into the wind w/ her tail up.
~ 9:45 another doe came out 20 yards away on the wheat field and was looking behind her. We thought that another doe or two were coming out or a decent buck. We were disappointed by a spike dogging her across the field for 200 yards.
~ 9:55 here comes another spike following the EXACT route the doe from 10 minutes earlier took.

We were thinking "OK, it took a little while to get the deer moving, but here we go." Those were the only deer we saw on Saturday. We did have five turkeys sneek behind us ~10:15. They were silent till they got through the brush and were safe.

Oh yeah, answer me this ... my buddy goes into the woods to follow the turkeys and he comes upon a tree with about ten turkeys (not the same ones he was chasing) in it at nearly 11:00 in the morning. Do turkeys stay in their roost this far into the day? What gives on this?

Went out again Sunday evening expecting to see more of the same. Good cool weather in front of a pretty good front coming in (today), cloudy, the rut affecting some deer.

~ 4:30 a four or six pointer popped out 75 yards away almost the same place as Saturday's doe, he sniffed around for about two minutes and went into the woods. This was exactly where I told my buddy to set up, but he went on the other side of the draw on the wheat field. No biggie, he wasn't going to shoot a small buck. We heard turkey's at 5:00, but no sighting.

~ 6:00 and too dark to see more than 5 yards I sit back and relax in my blind till my buddy shows up. I can see his flash light from across the field 150-200 yards away. THEN a decent body sized buck walks by me 5 yards away. I can only see him because the silhouette of the wheat field. He walks three more yards and is in front of brush, so essentially camouflaged. I can't see him! Is he still there? :anyone: I guess he is watching the flash light of my buddy. He eventually thunders off. The baffling part of this buck, who had some mass, etc. and was probably a small to medium eight pointer, is that he came from an almost completely wide open area, hardly any cover for about a 1/2 section. He might have been an old guy or something and has learned that chasing does in the daylight = bad luck.

Summary: Two spikes two chasing does on Saturday morning. On Sunday evening, no does, but spike looking and older buck hiding out till dark.

Dreaming Man
:osu

Latest posts

Top Bottom