Rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
nice deer RH.the buck i shot yesterday had a swollen neck and just starting to get sticky and stinky at the tarsels.so was the full moon over the weekend t5he first of the equinox? if so,the rut might time out just right for the central part of the state.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw no buck action yesterday evening in spite of seeing three sets of does. One of those "does" ending up being a button buck w/ dime size nubs on his head (his glands were beginning to smell). Of course, I wouldn't have known that if my friend had not shot him with his .50 cal.

Here is some oddness to yesterday evenings hunt. A skunk snuck up on my friend and started making some noises, turned his tail to my friend and then the shuck got a load of 12 ga. #4 shot up the kazoo. Fairly loud KABOOM, right? it's 4:45 and the sun sets at 5:30. Most likely the hunt is over. No way. Three deer pop out 30-40 yds from him on this wheat field about ten minutes later. Wait. Wait. KABOOM! Hit the button buck and destroyed his from legs. Somehow he gets to the woods. Another KABOOM to finish him off. About 10 minutes later two mature does pop out in front of me at 60 yds (pretty sure they are not the ones who just lost a member of their party). I have a bow, so no shot. They stay for about three minutes. Looking towards where the shots were fired and back in the woods where they came from ... they are too nervous and go back to the woods. Only if I had used the same set up position as last week and I would have had one of these does. :(

Then another buddy about 100 yds from the .50 cal shots sees two deer near him, but the woods were too thick and they do not go out on the wheat. I am surprised we saw any deer after a 12 ga. and two .50 cal shots. You just never know, do you? :screwy:

In conclusion to the thread title. We saw no rutting activity in North Central OK. Good luck you guys and gals.

DreamingMan
:osu

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw no buck action yesterday evening in spite of seeing three sets of does. One of those "does" ending up being a button buck w/ dime size nubs on his head (his glands were beginning to smell). Of course, I wouldn't have known that if my friend had not shot him with his .50 cal.

Here is some oddness to yesterday evenings hunt. A skunk snuck up on my friend and started making some noises, turned his tail to my friend and then the shuck got a load of 12 ga. #4 shot up the kazoo. Fairly loud KABOOM, right? it's 4:45 and the sun sets at 5:30. Most likely the hunt is over. No way. Three deer pop out 30-40 yds from him on this wheat field about ten minutes later. Wait. Wait. KABOOM! Hit the button buck and destroyed his from legs. Somehow he gets to the woods. Another KABOOM to finish him off. About 10 minutes later two mature does pop out in front of me at 60 yds (pretty sure they are not the ones who just lost a member of their party). I have a bow, so no shot. They stay for about three minutes. Looking towards where the shots were fired and back in the woods where they came from ... they are too nervous and go back to the woods. Only if I had used the same set up position as last week and I would have had one of these does. :(

Then another buddy about 100 yds from the .50 cal shots sees two deer near him, but the woods were too thick and they do not go out on the wheat. I am surprised we saw any deer after a 12 ga. and two .50 cal shots. You just never know, do you? :screwy:

In conclusion to the thread title. We saw no rutting activity in North Central OK. Good luck you guys and gals.

DreamingMan
:osu
Deer, coyotes and other animals do not know what a gunshot is. They may think it is thunder? Many, many times I shoot one coyote and minutes later another one shows up like nothing ever happened. I have had guys with me shoot at a coyote and miss 3 times and then another one almost ran over me a couple minutes later. I have shot deer before where there were many deer in a wheat field and one drops and as long as I am still and they do not see me, they settle back down and continue to eat. They don't reason like people.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer, coyotes and other animals do not know what a gunshot is. They may think it is thunder? Many, many times I shoot one coyote and minutes later another one shows up like nothing ever happened. I have had guys with me shoot at a coyote and miss 3 times and then another one almost ran over me a couple minutes later. I have shot deer before where there were many deer in a wheat field and one drops and as long as I am still and they do not see me, they settle back down and continue to eat. They don't reason like people.

Thanks for that perspective. I had not thought of it that way. Now, that I think of it. I have seen deer get shot in a wheat field and after a couple minutes they do calm down and get back to feeding. This probably not uncommon, but I've seen deer go over to one of the fallen sniff death and go on feeding.

Take care,
DreamingMan

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rut is starting up here around Tulsa. The buck I killed last night, was girl friend chasing. I saw him come in, and he didn't even use a bit of caution, probably coming in to check the scrape that's next to my stand. Just as ridgehunter said, "Tarsals dark and he reeked." God did he stink....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bucks were chasing does all over NC okla where I hunt. Everywhere I looked, does were running and shortly afterward a little buck would come down the trail. It should be another week or two before the does become receptive. The first weekend of gun season might be about the end of it though.

Kevintx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hope they hold out until rifle season. It hurts too much to spend the $206 to hunt each season. I noticed one of the bucks I saw had a swollen neck already.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rut may be early because of the colder temps and wet year. The full moon deal has to do with the amount of sunlight in the day, sunlight in the day is true timer for all mother natures characters along with geographic location, further south should be later but to see weeks you would have to go into south Tx. Horses put on their winter coat using the same principle. I also believe the ratio of bucks to does has to do with the timing of rut each year. Bucks are chasing, and marking but the does are not receptive. The does should be receptive around the 15th of Nov in the area that I hunt. I think that is this full moon is the begining of the best time of the year for a deer hunter (second full moon after the Autum equinox). But each year is a little different and I see bigger bucks in the area I hunt during the second rut when the does that come in late or didn't get bred come back in to estrus. I have edited my first post to reflect the correct dates and feel like a dumb arse for not looking and just typing away.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hope they hold out until rifle season. It hurts too much to spend the $206 to hunt each season. I noticed one of the bucks I saw had a swollen neck already.

i know it can be a stretch,but suck it up or sell something.get that lifetime liscense.it'll be the best thing you do

Latest posts

Top Bottom