Saw my first open carry yesterday...Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More important question is why do you care? It's his CHOICE.
I don't CHOOSE to open carry but I love the law cause it makes it easier to carry very comfortably without worry of printing. I don't bother wondering why someone decides to open carry, no matter how they do it. Meh, maybe it's just me...

Trying to "understand" why people do in a forum usually devolves pretty fast. Someone will say " I think it makes me a target" then someone will say " that's a myth, it's never been proven to be true" then " it's never been proven not to be true" then " that myth is a myth" and so on.... Lol

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The question everyone is missing is was it a pretty gun? Just kidding. I agree that it makes the printing issue void, and its up to each person to decide. I do not because I do not want the "target" painted on me for a bad guy, and I get enough strange looks already....

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Questioning a person's reason for open or any other form of carry is counter productive because it suggests that they need to justify it to you. The reasons a person might open carry are infinitely varied, just accept that and do what is right for you.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Questioning a person's reason for x or any other form of x right is counter productive because it suggests that they need to justify it to you. The reasons a person might exercise that right are infinitely varied, just accept that and do what is right for you.

Fixed! I made this a little more generic but it's still good wisdom across the board.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Questioning a person's reason for open or any other form of carry is counter productive because it suggests that they need to justify it to you. The reasons a person might open carry are infinitely varied, just accept that and do what is right for you.

Once again, I started this with a respectable question. NEVER have I implied, stated, or inferred that anyone needs to JUSTIFY anything to me. My goodness, if asking a question is "counterproductive", I don't know how to respond. I assume you guys just listen to everything that was ever taught to you and took it at face value, never question.

I know it's legal, there is no reason to get my permission.

As you will see from an earlier response, the answer was I open carry "because I can", however, he never has as he hasn't fulfilled the requirements. Honest answer from an honest guy, I appreciated it.

Now, the answer that appears to float to the top is not because of any tactical reason, but maybe only people "exercising" their rights that they were never able to do.....I'm fine with it, just wanted to know....

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying that are you saw this guy wearing an untucked shirt with his shirt pulled up on one side to display his firearm.. And probably thought, "Get a load if this guy, OMG seriously? He pulled his shirt up over his gun? What an attention whore." "Hmmmm I wonder what makes people want to open carry?" I truly want to understand."

Yeah I'm not buying it. The example in the OP is kind of backhanded IMHO. Maybe you would be better served to just come off more sincere and just ask "why do you chose to open carry?" Meh, maybe it's just me...

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Once again, I started this with a respectable question. NEVER have I implied, stated, or inferred that anyone needs to JUSTIFY anything to me. My goodness, if asking a question is "counterproductive", I don't know how to respond. I assume you guys just listen to everything that was ever taught to you and took it at face value, never question.

I know it's legal, there is no reason to get my permission.

As you will see from an earlier response, the answer was I open carry "because I can", however, he never has as he hasn't fulfilled the requirements. Honest answer from an honest guy, I appreciated it.

Now, the answer that appears to float to the top is not because of any tactical reason, but maybe only people "exercising" their rights that they were never able to do.....I'm fine with it, just wanted to know....

Maybe you should read my post one more time. Actually, read LightningCrash's edit of my post. That is the answer whether or not its what you were looking for.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you're saying that are you saw this guy wearing an untucked shirt with his shirt pulled up on one side to display his firearm.. And probably thought, "Get a load if this guy, OMG seriously? He pulled his shirt up over his gun? What an attention whore." "Hmmmm I wonder what makes people want to open carry?" I truly want to understand."

Yeah I'm not buying it. The example in the OP is kind of backhanded IMHO. Maybe you would be better served to just come off more sincere and just ask "why do you chose to open carry?" Meh, maybe it's just me...

Wow, you made one of the points originally questioned. Is he an attention whore? Are you? If you like the feeling of people looking at you because of what you're doing, or the way you're dressed, or the way you act, you're an attention whore.

Do you open carry?

That's what I want to know, truthfully, do YOU OPEN CARRY? If so, why?
Are you an attention whore?
Do you believe you are a deterrent to stop crime?
Are you just exhibiting a right in order to bring attention to it so it becomes a normal sight?

Since you don't know me and are making assumptions, I will correct you and tell you I did not think he was an attention whore. If he was being loud and obnoxious in his words and actions, I would have thought he was an attention whore. My first thought was "wow, I wouldn't do that because I would hate to become a target." Hence, my question to others for input and enlightenment.

I don't think I've been disrespectful in my question. I didn't say the guy didn't have a right. I didn't say I have to approve what he did. I asked a question....a legitimate question. If we can't have a dialogue on a gun sight, how in the hell do we have a dialogue with the people who don't agree with us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom