Shooting in my neighborhood last night - Will be on all the news channels tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, who lives at the house right across from the school? The shooter or the dog owners?
The shooter. They rent that house with the 10 acres. It's a little over 300' wide and deep. The beginning of Choctaw Creek is behind that property so it goes down hill behind and there is a lot of flood zone. The closest houses are on a street you have to enter from Anderson that's much closer to Reno about 1/2 mile away, over hills and through woods. It's a lot of farm land and flood zone back there.

The dog owners live off Edgewood which is the 2nd street to the east. Their property doesn't exactly touch. At the shortest distance, there are two ~5 acres lots with houses between them. In reality based on how much towards the front of the property the horses are, there are those two houses and a church and another dead end road. You'd walk through all those properties going from behind the shooter's house to the dog's house. All the houses are to the west. The shots went south, down hill into the low area around the creek that I think runs through his property.

I live in the neighborhood down another dead end road and the creek runs through the property behind me. The back portion of my property is flood zone because of it too.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's some impressive slippery slope you've got gong on there.

Intelligence, responsibility and situational understanding is what I suggest. Too many variables to consider to walk out and shoot something, but that's just me.

This kind of thought process is why dogs that "randomly" turn on their owners exist. Regardless of training and regardless of the dog's life, human aggression can be a genetic trait. When these dogs were fought in pits, if they wheeled around to nip at their handler when being pulled apart, they were culled. The adrenaline didn't matter, how much they won didn't matter, the dog was culled.

Fighting other dogs doesn't make a dog mean or human aggressive. I have a game bred staffordshire bull terrier and she will whine and cry to get to something she wants to fight, no growling, no barking, she wants to get it on. I have seen a toddler she's never met grab her by her lips and bit her on the nose hard and she yelped and cowered down. If she would've nipped at the kid, I would've put her down regardless of what I paid for her.

There's too much of this, "it's not the dog's fault stuff" sometimes it's not the dog's fault. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, but if you have a ****** dog then you better make sure you always know it's put away. There are a lot of people that are pro-bull dog that don't know a thing about them, i'm not saying you are one of those people, but what I am saying is that the breed has been changed completely since they were nanny dogs and not for the better.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This kind of thought process is why dogs that "randomly" turn on their owners exist. Regardless of training and regardless of the dog's life, human aggression can be a genetic trait. When these dogs were fought in pits, if they wheeled around to nip at their handler when being pulled apart, they were culled. The adrenaline didn't matter, how much they won didn't matter, the dog was culled.

Fighting other dogs doesn't make a dog mean or human aggressive. I have a game bred staffordshire bull terrier and she will whine and cry to get to something she wants to fight, no growling, no barking, she wants to get it on. I have seen a toddler she's never met grab her by her lips and bit her on the nose hard and she yelped and cowered down. If she would've nipped at the kid, I would've put her down regardless of what I paid for her.

There's too much of this, "it's not the dog's fault stuff" sometimes it's not the dog's fault. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, but if you have a ****** dog then you better make sure you always know it's put away. There are a lot of people that are pro-bull dog that don't know a thing about them, i'm not saying you are one of those people, but what I am saying is that the breed has been changed completely since they were nanny dogs and not for the better.

If you let a child play with a dogs lips and let a child bite a dogs nose then the aggression is on you if it reacts. That's not genetic, it's normal. If you put a dog down for that then that is asinine in my book, especially if they had shown no temperment previously. But it's your dog.

I will agree though, that sometimes it is the dog's fault. A majority of situations do allow for a lot of responsibility to lie with the owner though. In the OP's situation, the dog sounded like it needed to be put down. In other situations described throughout the thread, eh.... not so much but again.... that's just me.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you let a child play with a dogs lips and let a child bite a dogs nose then the aggression is on you if it reacts. That's not genetic, it's normal. If you put a dog down for that then that is asinine in my book, especially if they had shown no temperment previously. But it's your dog.

I will agree though, that sometimes it is the dog's fault. A majority of situations do allow for a lot of responsibility to lie with the owner though. In the OP's situation, the dog sounded like it needed to be put down. In other situations described throughout the thread, eh.... not so much but again.... that's just me.

You must be quick on your toes if a toddler has never snuck one in on you.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know dogs and i know horses. 99% of horses can take on 99% of dogs. If a dog can take on a horse he will damn sure kill a human. Neighbors should thank that guy.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must be quick on your toes if a toddler has never snuck one in on you.

Dogs understand respect, regardless of breeding, and a toddler has none. So if a toddler interacts with a dog and he reacts out of fear, unfavorably, once.... it's my fault. If a dog continuously goes after a child or people I've introduced to them correctly...then it's the dog. By all means, open up the shooting gallery.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
farmerbyron said:
Well, I was down looking at some dirt work being done and a calf starts bawling under duress. See their **** a$$ dog and he has the calf by the hind leg. There are a couple cows trying to get the dog away from him but this dog won't leave. I shot the little bastard and the renter starts screaming from the house calling me a mf'er and all kinds of **** like I was in the wrong.
That poor dog had terrible owners. Unfortunately, the dog was the one that had to pay the price. They ought to be thankful that it cost them the dog rather than the price of that calf.

If my neighbors shoot my dog for messing with their livestock, that's on me, not them or the dog. It means that I failed as her master.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dogs understand respect, regardless of breeding, and a toddler has none. So if a toddler interacts with a dog and he reacts out of fear, unfavorably, once.... it's my fault. If a dog continuously goes after a child or people I've introduced to them correctly...then it's the dog. By all means, open up the shooting gallery.

Yes, dogs do understand respect and they're a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for. At no point should a dog, even out of excitement or fear, lash out at a human, well bred dogs know this.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, dogs do understand respect and they're a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for. At no point should a dog, even out of excitement or fear, lash out at a human, well bred dogs know this.

It's not that I'm not giving them credit, I just understand that it's normal to react to certain situations in a certain way. The breeding only goes so far. To expect a normally well behaved dog to be perfect or be shot is laughable. Again, especially since the human has an amount of responsibility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom