Shower Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every place I've lived since I've moved to Oklahoma (dorm, 2 different apartments, rent house, and my current house), all the shower heads are about nose height to me (I'm 6'1"). Is there some silly code here with regard to shower head height, or did all the places I've lived just happen to be built by oompa loompas? I want to raise the shower heads in my house when I remodel the bathrooms eventually, but I also want to be able to sell my house, lol.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No code making them be that low. If they are old houses, everything used to be short. I dunno if people were really that much shorter back in the day or what. Doors, ceilings, everything was lower. There are lots of old houses in Tulsa with 7' ceilings.

I made sure my shower heads were at 7' foot in my house because even though I'm only 5-10, I've showered in places where the head was at mouth level like a microphone and it drives me nuts.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fellow who renovated my bathroom told me the height of the shower head is set so it's convenient for the majority of Americans - usually around 6'. The location of the studs and cross-members also affects the placement of the shower heads in remodels, but in new construction, that's not an issue since the framing can be done to accommodate the plumbing. One thing you can do if you want to cater to a wider range of prospective buyers is get extended shower heads with articulating joints, so you can raise or lower the shower head as desired. Like this:

[Broken External Image]

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the shower head pictured above. Not as fancy as raising the plumbing, but it's a great $20 fix I used in my older home before I moved.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fellow who renovated my bathroom told me the height of the shower head is set so it's convenient for the majority of Americans - usually around 6'. The location of the studs and cross-members also affects the placement of the shower heads in remodels, but in new construction, that's not an issue since the framing can be done to accommodate the plumbing. One thing you can do if you want to cater to a wider range of prospective buyers is get extended shower heads with articulating joints, so you can raise or lower the shower head as desired. Like this:

[Broken External Image]

This is what we have at home. You can raise it up and down easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom