Sig P229 vs. P228

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are good deals out there on Sigs. You just have to look. Top Gun Supply just sold a ton of 228s, but they still have some in good condition for $450.

I got my first one, a CPO with night sights for $410. My second one was LNIB for $480 and that was less than two years ago.

I wouldn't worry about 9mm not being powerful enough. With quality, modern ammo, there really isn't that much of a difference between a 9mm and 40 S&W. Shot placement is far more important, and I'd rather have 15 rds of 9mm than 12 rds of 40 S&W.

They don't have any good condition anymore - I've been watching them like a hawk for a while. All they have is fair condition now - they're pretty beat up, but for $450, its hard to pass them up.

I'm waiting for some (non-cracked frame model) 226s to come out so I can pick up a competition beater that I'm not worried about scuffing up.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Mine was ballpark ~$100, but that was a couple years ago, don't know if that's his current price. He is a sponsor here, so if you look in the sponsor section you should find him. His business name is Accurate Iron.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't have any good condition anymore - I've been watching them like a hawk for a while. All they have is fair condition now - they're pretty beat up, but for $450, its hard to pass them up.

I'm waiting for some (non-cracked frame model) 226s to come out so I can pick up a competition beater that I'm not worried about scuffing up.

Man those went fast! I'm waiting on the 226s as well. Hopefully grade As will be running somewhere around $500.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a P229 years ago and then bought a EFK Firedragon drop in 9mm conversion barrel; I found some 10 round P228 magazines online; The 9mm ammunition didn't function well in the 40/357 magazine -- according to Wolff Springs the P228 and the P229 share the same recoil spring; the barrel setup worked pretty good for me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a P228 up close. How big is it (height/length/width/weight) compared to, say, a Kimber compact carry 1911 in 3"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom