Sig P229 vs. P228

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hang on, I'll see if I can dig up any pics comparing mine to the Kimber Compact I had, it was a 4" with a magwell on it, but it should give you a comparison.

If I can't, the barrel will be about an inch longer than your ultra carry, and the grip is about 1/4" longer. The 1911 is significantly slimmer over most of the gun, but the widest parts of the 1911 are not much narrower than the widest parts of the Sig. If your Ultra has the aluminum frame, (~25oz), then the Sig is very close to the same weight unloaded.

In short, the Sig is larger, but completely doable for an EDC, I did for a couple years.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In short, the Sig is larger, but completely doable for an EDC, I did for a couple years.

Thanks, Nikat! I've been looking for smaller 9mm alternatives compared to an ultra-sized 1911 (Kimber, EMP, etc.). At the top of my list so far is a Kahr PM9, but I wondered how the Sig's would fare for size and weight.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, Nikat! I've been looking for smaller 9mm alternatives compared to an ultra-sized 1911 (Kimber, EMP, etc.). At the top of my list so far is a Kahr PM9, but I wondered how the Sig's would fare for size and weight.

Here's some showing size difference. P225 same size as the 228/229 shown with a G23, and last pic with my SW 3913
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_fdaaabf4.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's some showing size difference. P225 same size as the 228/229 shown with a G23, and last pic with my SW 3913

Leighton, thanks! I used to have a G23, so I now have a pretty good idea of the P228's size. Still a bit too big for what I want. It's interesting to see how the Glock's grip is positively brick-like compared to that of the Sig. That grip is why I ditched all my Glocks, with the hard-kicking G36 being the last to go. Gaston needs to get with the times :rolleyes:

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leighton, thanks! I used to have a G23, so I now have a pretty good idea of the P228's size. Still a bit too big for what I want. It's interesting to see how the Glock's grip is positively brick-like compared to that of the Sig. That grip is why I ditched all my Glocks, with the hard-kicking G36 being the last to go. Gaston needs to get with the times :rolleyes:

I take either one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom