Sig P229 vs. P228

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a P229 (without rails) from an OSA member. I really like it, it's really fun to shoot. I've just done some recent reading, and it seems that a lot of people prefer the P228 over the P229. I personally don't care for 9mm, and that's the only difference that I know of.

Could someone explain why the P228 is more popular? I don't know the differences between these guns.

Thanks!

-Brad

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, now I want one ;) a 228 that is.

Haha, yeah, that's how I felt about my sig. Im barely 20 years old, and this is my first handgun to purchase. It was tough to spend that much on a gun (paid 700 when I could have gotten an XD for ~500) but I feel that it was totally worth it. The P228 sounds like a great gun, I just don't care that much for the 9mm cartridge. I would rather have the extra power of the .40sw and 12+1, as opposed to the 9mm with 13+1. That's just me though. I would rather purchase 9mm, that's for sure!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, those in Tulsa looking for a P228, there's a pretty clean one up at OPS right now. Priced decent considering the way those things have shot up.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a NIB preban german made 228 that I purchase in 1993 boy do I like the balance. I've never shot it since I don't carry a 9mm and it's a safe queen. This thing was high dollar back in 1993 something like $800. The new milled slides just aren't as balanced as the old 228.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 228 (or two) but I actually keep a 229 as my "trouble in the night" gun as it has night sights and puts a little more lead downstream.

Don't regret your 229, but get a 228 some day if you get the chance.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 228 (or two) but I actually keep a 229 as my "trouble in the night" gun as it has night sights and puts a little more lead downstream.

Don't regret your 229, but get a 228 some day if you get the chance.

I'm wanting a 9mm (or something cheaper than .40sw), so this will probably be what I get, but I'm a college student. Getting the 229 was enough strain on the wallet for now. I will probably end up with a 228 before long though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom