Smoked pheasant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BF0E2E24-BA3E-42D4-BA55-48FBF1706337.jpeg

…smoked pheasant.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said, pheasant is very lean so it dries out quickly. Brine or inject at least 24 hours ahead of cooking so the injectable’s can disperse throughout the meat.
Wrapping in bacon is just about a requirement unless you baste during the cooking process. Use a meat thermometer taking it to 165 and your done.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would definitely do a brine. Almost any pheasant preparation can benefit from one. A good basic ratio to use is:

1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
Bring to a boil and cool before using.

You can add all sorts of additional things like garlic, bay leaves, herbs, maple syrup etc...

I would keep the temp fairly low and keep a close eye on it. I cant imagine you'd need to cook it too long.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said, pheasant is very lean so it dries out quickly. Brine or inject at least 24 hours ahead of cooking so the injectable’s can disperse throughout the meat.
Wrapping in bacon is just about a requirement unless you baste during the cooking process. Use a meat thermometer taking it to 165 and your done.
i still love me some bacon but when i put a lean chunk of meat on the smoker i like cheesecloth dipped in duck fat, in the past i just used paper towels and olive oil

Latest posts

Top Bottom