So I just bought my first safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought and installed a pretty good sized safe and now I'm on the hunt for lighting and a dehumidifier. Anyone have any recommendations? Right now they would have to be battery powered as there is no outlets near the install location. Also I was wondering - I have a bunch of leftover aromatic cedar planks used to line cedar chests and closets with. Would those be ok to stick a couple inside the safe for the pleasant smell or could any residual oils cause any harm to gun hardware?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silica Gel in a box with the color coded sections. Midway sells it in many different sizes.

Works great in mine. OK isn't all that humid anyway (though some may think so) and the electric dehumidifiers have always seemed like overkill to me.

As an aside: Did you get your safe bolted into the floor?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the Silica Gel - I have one of the perforated cans in the bottom of the safe. May not be completely necessary on for an indoor safe, but figure it can't hurt.

As for lights - I use 12V LED strips from the auto store powered by a couple of 6v lantern batteries in series, wired through a button switch epoxied on the hinge side of the door to turn them off when it's closed.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cedar - no harm, but never had a problem with moths destroying any firearms, but the aroma may be a great mask for oil smells wafting from the hunting blind. You may be onto something here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom