Somethign I Didn't Learn in School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So today I discovered an event in American history where the second amendment was used for its intended purpose. It is referred to as The Battle of Athens, TN. I had never hear of it before and find it extremely interesting. It's up there with The Red River Bridge Battle. I sure there are several folk here who are a bit older than me who have heard of the Battle of Athens before. I wonder if you don't hear about it because they don't want folks getting any ideas?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a TV movie with Brad Johnson a few years ago based on the Battle of Athens, but set in TX. It seems a good deal of this sort of thing went on locally for returning GIs who wanted to reform local politics, though that may be one of the few 'shooting battles'. Similar things occurred with Sid McMath and other vets over gambling in Hot Springs, AR.

Politicians pay for histories, so no surprise it is 'unknown'. Wouldn't want their fellow travelers to look bad, would we?

Latest posts

Top Bottom