Southwest no longer serving peanuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are people becoming allergic to nuts anyway? When I was in school till 1979 I never heard of anybody having a nut/gluten/whatever allergy? Only in the last couple of years this has become a "thing".

i'm guessing peanut allergies have been around in some form or other, but 1) you didn't hear as much about them and 2) exposure has increased with liability.

Our pediatrician was saying that the medial thinking for a while was to avoid exposing kids to peanuts in case they were allergic, but the data then showed that peanut allergies actually increased during that time. Now they think that gradual exposure to peanuts helps people who might be borderline to become okay with them (think allergy shots and exposure therapy).

As for things like gluten, well some of it's a fad, but some of it is a better understanding of things for those who are truly allergic. Plus, our food has changed in many ways over the past 40 years. If you are allergic to gluten, you have to be very careful because some things you wouldn't think would have any reason to have gluten do. IHOP used to add pancake batter to their eggs to thicken them up. Soy sauce can have gluten. etc. You're getting a lot of exposure to gluten, even if you don't know it and even a mild allergic irritation can become worse because of it.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just flew Southwest a month ago. The round trip to Vegas was reasonably priced, uneventful, and the wife and I even had the row to ourselves both ways. On the way there they couldn't find who ordered the Bloody Mary so the flight attendant just gave it to me. And on the way back the flight attendant never came around to get paid for the two Jack on the rocks I had. But they did serve some nasty tasting orange flavored cookies with craisins in them. So all in all, a pretty good experience even without the peanuts.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are people becoming allergic to nuts anyway? When I was in school till 1979 I never heard of anybody having a nut/gluten/whatever allergy? Only in the last couple of years this has become a "thing".
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today.

Peanut butter & jelly and peanut butter & banana sandwiches were staples when I was a kid. :anyone:

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1533178743751.jpg
View attachment 121828
FB_IMG_1533178626526.jpg

Some of what you missed on the last day of peanut service.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that it's been found that many of the folks that claim they're allergic to gluten are not ---- though they are allergic to the residual Round-up found in the wheat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom