Sparks, OK and non moving violations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crappie josh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife told me that the police, fire and water department is ran out of the old school building and the lady that runs it is only there on Tuesday and Thursday

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did she pay on the spot or did she receive a ticket/court date with the fine?

Getting a ticket to be paid by court date is not unusual.

If he asked for payment on the spot, that throws all kinds of flags.

Let us know which one it is.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Josh, watch out for the "vaunted OSA Dogpile". Look them in the eye and tell em its BS, she got pulled over for a questionable speeding ticket....not a burned out tail light. Tickets are supposed to be paid, they aint donations. Fight the power but....

Use good judgement, unlike me who woulda threw a tantrum, flipped them the bird and went on a high speed chase that woulda ended in a Walmart parking lot with tasers and pepper spray and a cart fulla meat.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No fight there. Broken tail light is a stoppable offense. Did he wack it with his baton as he approached her vehicle, that would be cause for a court fight. You might be able to get a reduction in fine, if you took the time off work to go talk to judge and plead no contest and ask for a reduction.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just think 100.00 is a LOT for only having a tail light out

So your problem is with the amount of the fine for the broken taillight, you're not saying he was trying to proposition her by mentioning "donations"? I didn't get that feel from the first post, so I was trying to clarify what it is you thought was inappropriate or illegal about the stop. Yes, it may be a bit high, but I believe municipalities are allowed to set their own fines.

If it's a pattern, then the OSBI can look into it. They recently shut down the police force of a small town they felt was running a speed trap - down by Atoka, I think, maybe where the prison is? Stringtown? I dunno, anyways...

I was just trying to clarify what the issue was. I didn't get the feel there was a sexual harassment or bribery-type thing going on, so I wasn't sure what it was he was upset about.

crappie josh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I didn't know what the going fine was for a broken tail light and I've never heard of some one getting more than a warning for a tail light

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I didn't know what the going fine was for a broken tail light and I've never heard of some one getting more than a warning for a tail light

Officer discretion. Many officers will look and make sure driver has not been issued repeated warnings for faulty lights and if good on that, will write a warning.
Keep in mind when a municipal officer runs a DL check it will show state violations and only the municipal tickets and warnings for that officers jurisdiction.
IIRC correctly the maximum fines are set at the state level and city fines cannot exceed that amount, but it has been awhile since I needed to be familiar with that.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FOIA the dashcam footage of the broken tail light if you want to fight.

The problem is the way the system is set up so as to discourage average people from fighting "minor" infractions like this. It will take you time and money, maybe more than the ticket's value even, to fight the police and courts. So the average working person just eats the expense and goes along the way and the local popo get their share of the pie, rinse and repeat. This is especially common in very small towns located out of the way with small budgets.

The "donations" line is fishy as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom