Springfield Armory XDM45 4.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was checking out a Springfield Armory XDM45 4.5 at one of the gun shows and I've been thinking about getting one.

It's advertised as having a match grade melonite finished barrel, stainless/polymer frame, two external safeties, 13 round capacity.

Does anyone have one? Opinions?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had both a 9mm and a .40sw version. I enjoyed the heck out of both of them. I think very highly of the xdm's. They are a little big to carry, at least for me, but for a range or home defense gun I think they are up there with any other. They do have a pretty nice trigger from the factory and are easy to shoot accurately. That's my experience. I say go for it.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an xdm 3.8 compact in a .40. The only complaint is weight. It is my edc. It conceals well for me, but it is heavy. The gun itself shoots very well. The trigger is much smoother than my m&p, as far as the barrel, I thought it was match grade, not melonite finish. The melonite finish I think is for the slide. It basically makes the xdm finish comparable to the glocks and m&p's. I have a buddy with an old xd 45, and the finish is terrible from holstering. Great gun overall though.

acelungger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wished that I had never bought my XD 45!! I fell like a traitor I have allways been a 1911 guy and have several 1911's but since I have bought the XD when I go to the range instead of taking several of my 1911's I will take the XD and a couple 1911's and find my self shooting the XD more than the others, I don't know if I got lucky or what but my XD has a great trigger and for some reason the Flat top of the slide seems to give me a better sight picture. I swore I would never own a plastic gun, I have owned 1911's since 1973 and I will allways have 1911's but those XD's shoot great right out of the box!If I could only have one pistol that would be a very hard thing for me to do but I think I would have to own a XD 45.
Good Luck
Greg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the external safeties are 1) a grip safety, and 2) a trigger safety (similar to a Glock or other XD models). So they are passive with no manual safeties.

I own a XD-40 4" and love it. It may not be as sexy as a 1911, Sig, or HK; but it has been dead nuts reliable. In thousands of rounds, not one FTF or FTE. Ever. 100% flawless operation.

More surprisingly is that I have had 100% successful ammo, and I have used all kinds. Hard primers and all it has digested and fired it all.

Last edited:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I wished that I had never bought my XD 45!! I fell like a traitor I have allways been a 1911 guy and have several 1911's but since I have bought the XD when I go to the range instead of taking several of my 1911's I will take the XD and a couple 1911's and find my self shooting the XD more than the others, I don't know if I got lucky or what but my XD has a great trigger and for some reason the Flat top of the slide seems to give me a better sight picture.
Greg

This happened to me as well. My wife who will only shoot a 9MM or 22lr picked up my XD .45 the last time we went to the range. She ended up putting a few hundred rounds through it and told me to sell her 9mm. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom