Squirrel opens May 15th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted squirrels on opening week one time. Had a hard time cause of leaves all over the trees. Kind of hard to spot them. Plus I was more afraid of collecting ticks on me. Even though I sprayed myself with repellent, I had that fear so I kept checking myself every so often. LOL Needless to say, I'd do it again.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Oklahoma the only state that has an early Spring squirrel hunt? What year did they start this? Back when I started squirrel hunting around Vinita, back in the 60's and 70's, squirrel season was late Fall...
As long as I can remember, Oklahoma's squirrel season has started in the spring and run through fall/winter, but I really only started looking at the hunting schedules in the late '70s or early '80s.

My grandfather used to be a big-time squirrel hunter 'til they moved from the NE OK to Hughes county when my dad was a kid. They temporarily rented a house in town, and it was infested with rats; after that, my grandmother refused to cook squirrels because "cleaned squirrels looked too much like rats."

Around here there's not much sport to hunting squirrels--all you need is a handful of peanuts and a ball-peen hammer...:chop:

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May the 15th has been the traditional beginning of squirrel season in OK for at least the last 60 years...I have been around that long to take advantage of it. My problem with the spring season is mosquitos. They will try to carry you off if you are down on the creek this time of the year.

bgdrhntr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh Springtime so many choices to make. Go fishing or go squirrel hunting. I'll be out squirrel hunting at least for one morning. I love fresh fried squirrel. Grew up on it as a kid and still think it's the best meat of all.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle, a Korean War vet, had his house destroyed by the tornadoes in Del City 14 years ago. Looters stole some of his guns. (they were scattered everywhere, house completely gone) He recovered a Remington .22 auto rifle that he had bought in Schulter while on leave in '52 or '53. The tornado broke the stock, the finish on the metal was pretty well ruined.
He gave it to me (I refinish old rifles) to fix up. I had a friend hot blue it, and I fixed and refinished the stock. Looks like new. I showed it to him in 2011, after I got done, he could hardly believe it. He refused to take it back, insisted I keep it and kill some squirrels with it. He passed away a few months later, I've shot the .22 a few times, but haven't taken it to the woods yet. I will after the 15th.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ahh Springtime so many choices to make. Go fishing or go squirrel hunting. I'll be out squirrel hunting at least for one morning. I love fresh fried squirrel. Grew up on it as a kid and still think it's the best meat of all.

if you can find it there is a marinade called Dale's steaksauce. Marinade squirrel or deer steak in it and then deep fry it. Great with biscuits.

bgdrhntr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Dales all the time on my deer and love it. But it's fried squirrel for me. I like it smothered in gravy also but fried is still my favorite. Can't wait till the 15th.

Latest posts

Top Bottom