Starting a shooting range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that you should put in as long a range as possible. It would fill a void and be something that would make you stand out from the other local ranges. I would drive over to shoot 200 , 300 , 400 yards.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
NRA is, most likly, the best place to start for insurance. As a full time 'smith, I'm really glad they started offering it for gun smiths, it's been really affordable compared to the others that are available and I mean a BIG difference. Make your range where you can hold some NRA events, I've seen some others hold events that they just, kind of, made up themselves and interest dwindles fast. Look to offer the range that the others don't. Offer memberships and walk-ins. Have range supervision. I know of one place, that had no range officer, that just got "shot-up to junk" because there was no one on the range to stop them, I guess they felt like they could shoot at whatever the wanted because they had paid. It closed. The Oklahoma Rifle Association might be another org with some info to help you get started. Lastly, be sure and charge enough that it is "worth your while". Starting and running a small business is more work and investment than most think it is. :thumbup3:

landontc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. I may contact the NRA to see what their requirements are for holding events.

I realize that this will be an expensive venture, but with it being right on highway 9, advertising would be easy.

If I put in a several hundred yard rifle range, would the entire thing need to be lined with something to keep in stray bullets? Like how the ranges at Tri City are?

landontc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question.

What kind of targeting system would be used for a several hundred yard range? No one's going to want to talk 300 yards to replace their targets...

I'm kind of curious how this would work and how other ranges have set this up.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You drive down to the lines at the gun club on the BR range that goes to 300 yards. The 600 yard high power range has the appropriate pits with target holders that your buddy pulls up and down to mark your shots.

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm out that way fairly often. Probably stop in every now and then to contribute to the lead collection. Planning on including a shorter "combat" range for pistols? Maybe 3 and 10 yards.

Chemist-Ret

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that says to contact the NRA. They were a big help when we built a small range several years ago. They even sent someone out to "certify" that it met NRA specifications. Even though the range was mainly for personal use, they also guided us on insurance and some of the legalities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom