Starting a shooting range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landontc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll definitely be including a short range... probably 15-25 yards for hand gun shooting. That should be the easiest to build.

So with the ~300 yard ranges, someone is at the other end replacing targets?

It's heavily wooded, so I'd like to leave as many trees as possible at just cut out the ranges for shooting. This should keep it shaded and cool during the summer.

What are the requirements for an FA range?

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you need to check that the city will let you do it?
also the key is to have the 200yd-300yd range, because there are alot of people like me with rifles that don't want to shoot at h and h 30 yard rifle lanes...

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to live in another state and had access to a 300yd range. We would just walk down there, put up A LOT of targets then use a spotting scope back on the bench. For variety, there were also a few chuncks of thick steel I-beam to shoot so you could hear the ping when you hit them. I think if you had a dedicated 300yd range (meaning that's the minimum if you're going to use that range) it weeds out those who aren't serious about developing long range skills. Otherwise, you just get overflow from the shorter ranges and screws up what long range shooters are trying to accomplish.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't forget to add to fa range as well. lots of fa folks around with no place to shoot.

Yes sir, that is so true. I have a friend that has several FA rifles and machine guns and he doesn't have a place ot shoot them. I don't really like going to H&H to shoot my Uzi, but it is better than nt shooting it at all.:thumb:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with the ~300 yard ranges, someone is at the other end replacing targets?

It's heavily wooded, so I'd like to leave as many trees as possible at just cut out the ranges for shooting. This should keep it shaded and cool during the summer.

What are the requirements for an FA range?

I think the link I provided with the manual from the NRA would cover ALL of those bases.

Oklahoma Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love when old forgotten threads come back to life!

Hey jmiller, I never noticed it was an old thread until you mentioned it.:spitlaugh I was checking the profile of another member who posted in this thread and noticed my buddy Jeff had posted here as well and was just giving him the new info. I hardly ever pay attention to the dates.:coffee2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom