1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Stop leaving guns in cars.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HiredHand, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Michael Armstrong

Michael Armstrong Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I always like the trucks with magpul and ruger stickers that scream break my window there’s expensive stuff in here lol

Rustygun, TerryMiller, GC7 and 10 others like this.
  2. RETOKSQUID

RETOKSQUID Sharpshooter

Those go on cases and safes. I did however put a mom's demand action sticker on the car once as camouflage.

3. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    It’s just something else the Anti-gun folks can use against us.

4. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't? Wow, thanks for easing my concerns of carjacking and other spontaneous crimes, that's a load off my mind.

5. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I'll leave my gun in the car sometimes, it's inevitable. It's locked, so if someone gets to it, they have to break in. That makes it their responsibility, not mine. And if you drive around Tulsa (especially some of the areas I do) without a gun readily available, you are looking for trouble.

BobbyV, MacFromOK, raeken45 and 5 others like this.
  6. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’m a fan of the old ways too. When I was growing up, it was a well known fact that if you were caught stealing watermelons in the moonlight, you could expect a butt full of rock salt from a 12 gauge. Nowadays, that same act could put you in prison or get you sued.

Ideally, I’d like to have a quick access locking gun box for a pistol and a locking gun rack for a carbine. The problem is where and how to mount them. Today’s vehicle designs with lots of plastic make it difficult to find a solid mount. The thief could just rip it right out and use cutters to get the weapon after they leave.

With my Toyota FJ, keeping either out of sight is a problem because of all of the windows. If I’m going to the range, I usually have my guns in hard cases underneath other range gear. It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to look through the rear window and see the other gear and guess what else is in there.

TedKennedy likes this.
  7. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Traveling to the range or other shooting activities does present some difficulty in providing secure storage for firearms, but I’d bet that location and the length of time spent away from the vehicle tends to mitigate some of the opportunity for theft to occur.

The type of security needed to provide absolute assurance that the firearms couldn’t be removed from the vehicle is likely out of the practical and financial realm for most gun owners. Using an affordable locking device and obscuring the location inside the vehicle should provide reasonably secure temporary storage for those brief occasions when cannot maintain physical possession or control of our firearms.

8. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Have you had any vehicle specific firearms training or ever practice deploying your gun inside a vehicle under pressure? I’d hazard that 99.9% of people that leave guns inside their cars haven’t and it would be a total dumpster fire watching them try to access those guns in the extremely rare instance they would need to.

9. TOOF

TOOF Sharpshooter

So now we need to be afraid of having a spare weapon in our vehicle out of our immediate control?

10. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    It's 2020. We need to be afraid of everything.