Storing Guns in Cloth or Soft Cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Stehno

GunOwl Firearms LLC
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
If you store your guns in cloth or soft material bags check for rust if left in the case for a long time storage.

Some pictures of a gun that was stored in a soft case. You can see the rust and the customer tried to use sandpaper to remove the rust. As a gunsmith you can see the restored gun in the last two pictures. Just wanted to warn you if store your guns cloth or soft cases it might allow moisture to build up on the gun surface. Before sure to apply a thin coat of oil to all metal surfaces if you are planning to store the gun for a long period of time.

Attachments

• Shotgun & Sandpaper.jpg
    Shotgun & Sandpaper.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Shotgun with Rust.jpg
    Shotgun with Rust.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Finished Project.jpg
    Finished Project.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Finished Gun.jpg
    Finished Gun.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you store your guns in cloth or soft material bags check for rust if left in the case for a long time storage.

Some pictures of a gun that was stored in a soft case. You can see the rust and the customer tried to use sandpaper to remove the rust. As a gunsmith you can see the restored gun in the last two pictures. Just wanted to warn you if store your guns cloth or soft cases it might allow moisture to build up on the gun surface. Before sure to apply a thin coat of oil to all metal surfaces if you are planning to store the gun for a long period of time.
I've heard the cases with the foam rubber will cause them to rust.

Anything that will soak the oil away from the metal is going to allow it to rust.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime I store stuff in a case, I find a spot on the foam that's out of the way and give it a healthy spray of Rem Oil. Doing that I've had no issues. Also keep some golden rods running in the vault as well.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Lord, sandpaper? 😳metal doesn’t look pitted. Me thinks a little #9 and 0000 would have done the trick but I don’t think they even tried a nylon brush. Yikes!

I do keep a couple of guns in cases but I check and clean them annually and after 4 years so far ne’er a spec of rust to be found.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep mine in soft cases inside my safe and have never had an issue but I do take them out and wipe them down pretty often. I'm sure its not the best way to store them but it works.

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Legacy Collectables recommends storing with a light coat of lube-oil and wrapped in plastic wrap (loosely), then placing in a cardboard storage boxes if you are storing for extended periods without checking them (>1year). They sell high end collectable weapons...Saw it on one of their vid's...

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not store in a case!

Bought an 1100 from a co-worker. He had bought it on a store closing sale. Never fired it. Store it in a soft case.

Was getting divorced and needed to sell.
I guess he forgot about running his mouth on what he bought it for. Took it to pawn shop and when removed from case, covered in rust. They offered $10.
He brought it to me, asking more he paid. I offered his asking minus a blue.
He agreed to $75.

A wipedown with an oil soaked rag, followed by 0000, then another wipedown. It looked like new. No pits, just surface.

Mine get cased for transport, not storage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom