Sub-$1,000 1911 for single stack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal...I want to shoot some USPSA single stack here in a bit and I've been hankering for a decently built 1911 as my next handgun purchase.

The models that have intrigued me so far are STI's Trojan and Springfield's Loaded Target, but I've also considered springing (ha) for the TRP or Trophy Match for a few hundred more.

Any other models I should be looking at? Finish isn't a huge deal to me, but fit certainly is. I want a tight gun. Sloppy grip safeties bug the hell out of me and I don't even own a 1911. Checkered front strap would be nice as well. I should mention that I plan on shooting the crap out of it and keeping it forever, so longevity is a factor, too.

Could I have a better gun built for $1,500? Or if I make that price jump should I go for a Baer? I have a long way to go in Production, so I'm fairly patient. :rotflmao:

For you SS IPSC guys, any advantage to a .40 S&W in this division? I've shot a couple of .40 2011s and recoil was ridiculously non-existent.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your welcome to shoot my TRP at a match if you want. But you DO have to give it back when you are finished. You won't wanna, but you gotta. :laugh6:

Let me know before hand and I'll put the stock recoil spring back in (I have a 14lb in for my "barely major" load).

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what you are describing I'd go with a STI Trojan. If you are going to spend $1500 go with a Baer, a TRP is overpriced at that price point.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal...I want to shoot some USPSA single stack here in a bit and I've been hankering for a decently built 1911 as my next handgun purchase.

The models that have intrigued me so far are STI's Trojan and Springfield's Loaded Target, but I've also considered springing (ha) for the TRP or Trophy Match for a few hundred more.

Any other models I should be looking at? Finish isn't a huge deal to me, but fit certainly is. I want a tight gun. Sloppy grip safeties bug the hell out of me and I don't even own a 1911. Checkered front strap would be nice as well. I should mention that I plan on shooting the crap out of it and keeping it forever, so longevity is a factor, too.

Could I have a better gun built for $1,500? Or if I make that price jump should I go for a Baer? I have a long way to go in Production, so I'm fairly patient. :rotflmao:

For you SS IPSC guys, any advantage to a .40 S&W in this division? I've shot a couple of .40 2011s and recoil was ridiculously non-existent.

In the Springfield armory lineup the Trophy Match is an excellent firearm, exceptionally reliable even wth 185 gr. LSWC's and super accurate. I did replace the factory innards for a lighter tigger pull.

The SA1911 Target 9mm is another story - best groups were only 4+ inches at 25 yards.

I still own and shoot the Trophy Match.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your welcome to shoot my TRP at a match if you want...

What matches do you usually shoot? I might take you up on that.

if you were so inclined... you can build you a really nice gun for $1000 if you have the knowledge (or rather... willing to learn the knowledge).

I'm definitely willing to learn, but between full time job, grad school, and remnants of a social life, I just don't have the time.

No, you aren't allowed in SS class :angry3:.
Stay in production........

Haha...well I'm giving you a head start. Plenty of time to fix that rear sight! :hey3:

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm definitely willing to learn, but between full time job, grad school, and remnants of a social life, I just don't have the time.
If you wanna play with the big boys, there's no time for a social life. Priorities man....

Haha...well I'm giving you a head start. Plenty of time to fix that rear sight! :hey3:

The sight's fixed, although I don't think that or the head start are going to help much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom