Suggestions for wife gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a LCP for my wife. She liked the looks of them and wanted something small for her purse or even to carry in her pocket. I knew it would be a little bit like Will Smith's "Noisy Cricket", being so small, and it would be fairly stout on the recoil. That she was actually okay with when we went and shot it. The problem is, she is having a VERY hard time being able to rack the slide. Now obviously, if she's carrying it loaded, she shouldn't have to rack the slide, but if there were a FTF or something or if she needed to put in another mag, she might be in trouble. Personally, I'm thinking Glock, being striker fired, they are much easier to rack the slide, but they aren't nearly as small or "cute" as the LCP. Any other suggestions? LCR or similar maybe? Other options?

My sister had the same issue with her LCP but my bro-in-law and I ran a few hundred rounds through it and used a small amount of the old Outer's Gunslick and after we got it broken in she has no issue....along with a little training on how to grip it. Trigger got better too.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might have her hold the slide stationary and just rack the frame?

Or just have her rack it a couple of times every day. It's a bit like playing guitar... you probably don't have the hand strength when you first start, but you play at least 10 minutes each day and you build it up.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1. Unless she has lots of experiance shooting, stay away from the J-frame type revolvers, they are not for beginners!!

2. Get her to the gunstore, and let her try out a few different guns to see what feels good to her, not to you, or the salesman.

3. Get her to the range, and, or, get her into a class, as already mentioned earlier.

4. She'll be happier, and so will you!!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Unless she has lots of experiance shooting, stay away from the J-frame type revolvers, they are not for beginners!!

2. Get her to the gunstore, and let her try out a few different guns to see what feels good to her, not to you, or the salesman.

3. Get her to the range, and, or, get her into a class, as already mentioned earlier.

4. She'll be happier, and so will you!!

Exactly why I let my wife pick out her own gun.

I have found out the Beretta Inox Tomcat does not have the frame cracking problem and if you have a fairly new gun that does crack the Inox is what Beretta replaces it with.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did go to the gun store and she did handle and feel several guns. The LCP is the one she wanted and thought felt best in her hand. In retrospect, I should have had her run through all the controls on each gun and try to rack each slide. It honestly never occurred to me that someone wouldn't be able to rack the slide on one of these. :homer:

Latest posts

Top Bottom