Suggestions for wife gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a LCP for my wife. She liked the looks of them and wanted something small for her purse or even to carry in her pocket. I knew it would be a little bit like Will Smith's "Noisy Cricket", being so small, and it would be fairly stout on the recoil. That she was actually okay with when we went and shot it. The problem is, she is having a VERY hard time being able to rack the slide. Now obviously, if she's carrying it loaded, she shouldn't have to rack the slide, but if there were a FTF or something or if she needed to put in another mag, she might be in trouble. Personally, I'm thinking Glock, being striker fired, they are much easier to rack the slide, but they aren't nearly as small or "cute" as the LCP. Any other suggestions? LCR or similar maybe? Other options?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I teach a woman's beginning handgun class and run into this problem all the time.

For some women, i would say they probably will not be able to rack a slide, i am talking 20 y/o - 80 y/o. They just have lot led a life to develop the strength in their arms.

For some women, they have the strength if they learn a technique that works for them.

for some women, they have plenty of strength. I have worked with women
that handle horses and racking a slide is no more than a thought for them.

The way I see it, for a middle age woman, if they do not have the strength to rack a slide, they probably won't change their life style to develop and keep the strength needed to rack the slide. I am talking about women that cannot rack a .22. Sure, they may work on their strength when they first get the new gun, but will keep the strenth up?

will a glock help, i don't know, go to a store and let her try.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I teach a woman's beginning handgun class and run into this problem all the time.

For some women, i would say they probably will not be able to rack a slide, i am talking 20 y/o - 80 y/o. They just have lot led a life to develop the strength in their arms.

For some women, they have the strength if they learn a technique that works for them.

for some women, they have plenty of strength. I have worked with women
that handle horses and racking a slide is no more than a thought for them.

The way I see it, for a middle age woman, if they do not have the strength to rack a slide, they probably won't change their life style to develop and keep the strength needed to rack the slide. I am talking about women that cannot rack a .22. Sure, they may work on their strength when they first get the new gun, but will keep the strenth up?

will a glock help, i don't know, go to a store and let her try.

Any suggestions on any particular techniques?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first saw the title I thought, it depends on how big a wife you are hunting.

Small revolver may be a better answer but most people who are not physically handicapped can learn to rack the slide of any semi-automatic pistol. At the most you are talking about 18 pounds or less of spring tension. The problem is most people think they have to pull the slide back slowly and gently slide it back forward. Using the large muscles of the arms is the key. Grasp the pistol firmly in the dominant hand, finger off the trigger. Reach over the top of the slide with the weak hand grasping the slide between the base of the palm and the four fingertips, thumb should be pointing back toward your chest. Push with the dominant arm extending it almost straight forward and pull back briskly with the weak arm letting your hand continue to the rear releasing the slide when it is all the way back. The slide will slam shut under the force of the spring and the pistol will be loaded. Imagine it is similar to pulling and shooting a slingshot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom