Taco Bueno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought how these places stay open and I figured it out. They launder money for the cartel.
That's how they stay open.
That's my theory on all the strip center mattress stores. No way they sell enough mattresses to even pay rent. And there are a million of them.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, reality will set in pretty soon.

A fair price is what the market will bear.

If you can't hire people, you aren't paying enough, pretty easy to figure out.

If you can't afford labor costs, you'll go out of business.

Rinse and repeat enough, you'll get a labor glut, and labor costs go down.

Labor is a commodity, just like beef, cheese and tortillas. Getting pissed about the value changing won't help anything.
Who said I was pissed. Labor cost go up to much, they get replaced with machines and can not find a job. Not my problem. I know how to make my own tex-mex.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't have a taco bueno here and that is ok. I do sometimes go to Carls Jr. for a sausage and egg biscuit and have noticed there are half the people behind the counter there use to be.Some guy was being hateful to the manager and she seemed like it was just another day for her.I also go to braums on occasion for a breakfast burrito and there are maybe 5 people there working and they are swamped most of the day.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WAY back in the early 90's, I worked my way through college at the Stillwater store and a couple others. Ended up being an assistant manager and then store manager. Back then, the food was really good. Horribly labor intensive, pretty much everything was from scratch. The tortillas came prepackaged, but not fried for chips, tacos, etc. All the other food came in raw and uncut. I remember thinking we were movin on up when we started getting lettuce pre-shredded. The beans had to cook overnight and were actually twice cooked.

I don't know if the food is made the same, but I do remember the higher ups were extremely focused on keeping labor costs in line (stores were all corporate; not sure if there are franchises now-I think there are). We had to plan and justify labor costs on an hourly basis. They never wanted any "extra" people around. If you went to Taco Bell around 10 p.m., you'd probably see 7-9 people working. At Bueno, it would be 3, max.

When I started, drive through was about 40% of the volume. By the time I left, it was over 60%. That location runs a TON more through the drive through from what I've seen. I could darn sure see them deciding the dining room isn't worth opening, they can save a couple people and blame "labor shortages".

I've got a couple kids who are looking for jobs, applied at places claiming they're short handed, but hearing nothing but crickets. I'm beginning to think some places have decided not to replace lost labor from COVID and if someone complains, just say "sorry, we're short handed". Perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm seeing a lot of this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom