Taking Andrew Jackson off the Twenty????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW - did Jackson send the troops to oust the Cherokees?

The removal treaty was actually enforced by Jackson's successor, Van Buren, who sent 7,000 troops to carry out the relocation policy. Jackson started the process and some say it was to save the 5 civilized tribes from extinction, as the whites would have killed them to get their land.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, if you want to put a chickee baby on the currency, start with Rear Admiral Grace Harper. Not only was she a crucial pioneer in computing (among other things, she's credited with inventing the compiler, without which most modern "programmers" wouldn't be able to program), but she was also the first woman to achieve flag rank.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno--I think there's plenty of irony to be had. It's not like the treaty was a desired outcome--"sign the treaty and get something for going away" versus "go away" isn't much of a choice.
It's also wildly ironic that signing treaties proved to be a sucker move for the Indians every time. We laud the signers of treaties even though WE repeatedly broke treaties ourselves. Indians who believed we would keep our word made our lives a hell of a lot easier. Laugh the Fukc out loud.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chief Joseph is on the $200 series I savings bond.
That's somewhat ironic in itself.

f.tqn.com_y_beginnersinvest_1_S_c_J_chief_joseph_two_hundred_dollar_i_bond_savings_bond.gif

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is, we already do spend money to redesign banknotes every so often. For fraud protection. Wasn't the $100 just redesigned recently?

I don't really give a flip about who is on the money. I just think there are actual problems in this world and this isn't one of them. And i'm not talking about the issue of a woman being on the banknote or not, i'm talking about the 'this is the end of america' attitude that comes with these types of threads. America isn't toast because we entertain the idea of putting a woman (or anyone one else, regardless of where the idea comes from) on a banknote.

No. It is toast because a group expects to take it to the president in hopes he will take "executive action".

If this is the kind of stuff that people expect the presidents to waste his time with, we are toast. We are shallow as a nation. And no one give two craps in a ditch about anything but their own personal interests.

Latest posts

Top Bottom