Talk about down the rabbit hole. The inner workings of vehicle transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford

This is mind boggling to me. How any human can engineer the valve body, check valves, clutches, one way bearings, spring ratios, etc of an automatic transmission.

He just takes them apart and throws the pieces on the bench telling you about what the weaknesses and strong points are. What the driver did to hurt the transmission. What the manufacturer did to improve the failings. How to improve the part by drilling out a thousandth of an inch here and there.

Infrikkencredible!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good transmission mechanics are tough to find. There are a lot of parts replacers out there but very few that understand what they are seeing like the guy in the video.
The new 10 speed auto transmissions are an engineering marvel.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know two guys like that, they can do the same with transfer cases as well. 7.3lpsd were hard on those 4r100 transmissions if they pulled a lot and often.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand subsystems that go into a larger unit. It still amazes me that someone can make all those subsystems work together. It’s like building a lego model. And that’s why I refuse to consider rebuilding an automatic myself.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That ain't no joke. I can't even feel the Denali Sierra shift, even in tow mode hauling the boat. Smooth as glass.
Same transmission as the Ford Super Duty. There is a lot of sharing across manufacturers. New Process Gear Transfer cases are the same for 4wd Chevy, Ford and GMC. Look the same anyway.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same transmission as the Ford Super Duty. There is a lot of sharing across manufacturers. New Process Gear Transfer cases are the same for 4wd Chevy, Ford and GMC. Look the same anyway.

It is pretty dang amazing. I'd like to see what the longevity of em are in the years to come.
Cant wait until I can finally ditch the transmission vehicles altogether... if only Elon would hurry up and build my truck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is pretty dang amazing. I'd like to see what the longevity of em are in the years to come.
Cant wait until I can finally ditch the transmission vehicles altogether... if only Elon would hurry up and build my truck.
Saw where he lost money on the tesla this year, but he has enough cash to keep it afloat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom