Talk to me about a quick trip to Alaska

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wanted to go to Alaska...say I wanted to take a quick trip and spend a few days there...what's the best place to fly into and a few things to do while there?

I know you could do tons of stuff and spend a long time there, but say I wanted to take the "Cliff Notes" version of a trip...what should I look into?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to go to Alaska...say I wanted to take a quick trip and spend a few days there...what's the best place to fly into and a few things to do while there?

I know you could do tons of stuff and spend a long time there, but say I wanted to take the "Cliff Notes" version of a trip...what should I look into?

Fly into Anchorage then drive down to the Kenai peninsula. Explore all the towns along the way. Crow Creek mine in Girdwood, the little town of Hope, then onto Kenai, Soldotna and Homer. On the way to Homer stop in and see the church at Ninilchik cause it’s cool. And check the dock at Homer for the Deadliest Catch boats. Could even make the drive down to Seward and the Alaska Sealife Center on the way back. It’s hard to lay out a quick trip as it only allows you to see a sliver of Alaska. So much to do and see….
5B8CB7F1-FEB7-40E5-8223-6677D6865BE7.jpeg
AD1642A3-0BD5-46D1-A2CA-2D4767D459E1.jpeg
DA76C52F-AD03-4312-A955-B46A10F624E3.jpeg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only trip to Alaska was a 7 day cruise, and it was awesome. Stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka,Victoria and a day in and out of Glacier Bay. Not sure I'd want to spend several days in any one of those towns, they are small and very tourist oriented but there are excursions in each of them that are fun and interesting. Cruises are not really all that expensive, but you can spend a ton of money on excursions and souvenirs if you're not careful.

I know that's not exactly what you asked for... but it's the only time I've ever been to Alaska. I'd happily do another cruise.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been to Anchorage 2 or 3 times, Fairbanks once and Nome once . . . but it's been almost 20 years. I keep telling my wife I'll take her up there one day. So I'm interested in what others have to say.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only trip to Alaska was a 7 day cruise, and it was awesome. Stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka,Victoria and a day in and out of Glacier Bay. Not sure I'd want to spend several days in any one of those towns, they are small and very tourist oriented but there are excursions in each of them that are fun and interesting. Cruises are not really all that expensive, but you can spend a ton of money on excursions and souvenirs if you're not careful.

I know that's not exactly what you asked for... but it's the only time I've ever been to Alaska. I'd happily do another cruise.

If you get past the cruise ship docks in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan you’ll find out there is a lot more to those towns then touristy stuff. When we lived in Ketchikan we kept busy doing stuff all summer without ever going downtown.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a cruise to Alaska in 2018 and then in 2019 I did another cruise, got off the ship, flew to Anchorage and rode 7 days on a BMW GS1200 Adventure. I enjoyed the cruises much better. In fact, wife and I are going Sept 10th.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve done two cruises to Alaska. First was round trip out of Seattle.
Second was a flight into Anchorage (get a seat on the right side of the aircraft. You will see 5 glaciers) to stay in a downtown hotel for three nights exploring the city.
Took the Alaska train to Seward to board the ship. The train trip takes most of a day as the train runs about 30 mph through some beautiful countryside. A couple we ate with in the dining car had flown into Anchorage, caught a bush plane ride to Nome, rented a car and drove back to Anchorage taking 10 days to make the drive, stopping at points of interest along the way before boarding the train for the last leg to Seward.
If anyone takes this one way cruise, you get to spend twice as much time in ports vs the round trip. Get a cabin on the ship with a balcony on the left side of the ship as your always looking inland vs the right side where your always looking out to sea.
Canada isn’t open yet but if they open the borders later this month like they are saying, the train ride out of Sitka runs into Canada at Whitehorse where you board busses for the ride back. Absolutely beautiful scenery.
You WILL need a passport in hand to get through Canadian immigration and back into the US. Random busses are flagged at the US border for further inspection while others get the green light to proceed.
We plan on returning to Alaska as soon as the airlines dump the mask BS and everything returns to normal. Probably spend a month or so to see it more in depth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom