Taurus 709 Slim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know you are asking about the 709, but let's take a step back first...

Momma needs to make sure she is ready to carry, and decide how she is going to carry. She needs to get in the mindset.

I would HIGHLY suggest she take TDSA's Introduction to Firearms for Ladies course if she hasn't. It's way more than a gun class, it's a change to her mindset about personal safety as well. In addition they will work with her on proper grip, stance, and usage of the sights.

Back to the 709, I shot one once, and hated it, very thin, very uncomfortable.

I would suggest in the interim she get some good pepper spray and a good small flashlight. Get used to carrying them, and having them ready. Take the Class, then go to the range and shoot rental guns until she finds what she likes, one she will shoot and practice with, and carry.

Excellent advice and you're completely right. I'm going to look into that class right now.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at a Shield, too. For less than $100 more, I'd go that route. I own both, BTW. And if you think recoil may be a problem, the smaller 9mm may giver her trouble, too.... maybe the .380s are a better option, as much as I hate to recommend one of those. lol

<edit> As for the LC9, I found it INCREDIBLY difficult to activate the slide release when the slide was locked back. This is the one reason I didn't get it. I have pretty strong hands, and I know my wife would not have been able to drop that slide by activating the slide release with her thumb - hell, I couldn't. I had to pull the slide back to release it and drop the slide. Maybe that is something that breaks in on them, but I really disliked that.

The Ruger LC9 has a slide lock, and isn't intended to be a "slide release" you're supposed to pull the slide back

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor has one and she cant get rid of it fast enough, problem is, no one else wants it. It fails to go into battery every time with JHP. SHe sent it back to Taurus, came back, same problem, she took it to a smith and had the ramp polished, same problem. Sent it back to Taurus again, came back same problem. Sent it back again, with instructions to either fix or give her a new gun. She went round and round with Taurus and they finally gave her a new gun that actually worked. She is now doesn't trust Taurus and At this point she just wants to be rid of it

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The PPS is a great gun but it has a quirk that you really have to train for. One is the paddle release. If she is used to a push button release she wil have to get used to the paddle

2nd, because you don't have to adjust your grip when using the paddle release, the magazine can hang on the butt of your hand and will result in you having to adjust your grip anyway. As long as she knows that and trains for that, I wont be a problem

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ruger LC9 has a slide lock, and isn't intended to be a "slide release" you're supposed to pull the slide back

No kidding? Well, that would explain it.

Glad I didn't buy it now, thinking it would "break in". Hate that concept, personally - I want to change the mag, drop the slide with my thumb and keep shooting.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding? Well, that would explain it.

Glad I didn't buy it now, thinking it would "break in". Hate that concept, personally - I want to change the mag, drop the slide with my thumb and keep shooting.

I thought the same, Have a Ruger Sr9 and the mag release really sucked. Called Ruger and they said, "Did you read the manual?" I said "No, its a pretty straight forward operation". That's when they told me its a slide lock. Kinda wish they could have spent a lil extra and made it a slide relelase

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my mom a 709 slim 9MM in that funky special edition lavender color that she just had to have. I bought it at Academy in OKC as it was on sale for 20% off in 2015 and since she couldn't
rack the slide on my M&P 40, she could on the 709 Slim and she handled it nicely. The grip is small enough for her little skinny hands to grip it and hold it well. We never got a chance for her to shoot it
because she developed a disabling disease that attacked her shoulders and we didn't know it was advancing until about 3 months after I got her the gun, so now she can't rack the
slide on it, much less shoot it. It isn't a problem with the gun, but the shooter. I would recommend your mom to rent one at a range and try it out before jumping in there and buying one
because getting rid of it has been a real pain. It was sold to us as being one of Taurus's best semi autos and because it is slim it easily concealed. However, the Lavender color isn't
a color choice of a weapon that most men find appealing, so women become the target buyers.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know your Mom... But for any real life situation I would have to seriously recommend something more along the lines of the Ruger lcr snubby. I have had my mom shoot small semi autos and sometimes she lets the gun flip and stove pipe or creates a non round feed situation. Don't ask me how it doesn't happen to me with the same gun. She also is never gonna train enough to be automatic on a tap and rack with a misfeed. When you pull the trigger on the revolver the second time it's gonna go bang! Just my thoughts.

UncleBigToe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried the 709 for several years and it served its time well....but just for pure comfort of carrying a firearm all day every day the little Diamondback DB380 is a great choice, has about the same pop as the rest of the small frame handguns yet is very comfortable for conceal carry options. I've seen them at gun shows for as low as $199..
Never have had any feed or firing issues ..did I mention it was very comfortable to carry :confused:

Latest posts

Top Bottom