Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know many teachers that care more about their students then most of you can imagine. They spend their own resources for supplies in their classrooms, continuing education, and many teach summer school, and special programs. I also know some very poor teachers that should find a new occupation. (Much like every other profession). Teachers deserve better pay, and greater respect. The system is flawed in many ways. Our inept state legislature spends most of the time every session, introducing bills like permanent day-light savings time, instead of actually solving the state funding problems. They have cheated the system time and time again with proposals the ended up being the same or less funding for education. We have too many districts, but who wants to step up and say that their district should be combined with another?

There is no one single solution to this problem, but it starts with eliminating every currently serving state senator and representative. Put a lot of study and thought into who you vote for in the upcoming elections.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a dated report, but it's hard to ignore.

At the time it was written (2014) we were 6th in the nation in terms of $$ spent on district spending. 16th in the nation in terms of $$ spent on overall administration and 40th in the nation in $$ spent on teacher salaries.

Yes, paring down administrative and district costs doesn't fix everything...but before you throw more money at the problem you need to address it.

http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/06/28/is-oklahoma-spending-too-much-on-school-administration/

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m a teacher. My job is to educate our young people. Even if the whole state strikes, I will still come and do my job.

Don’t get me wrong..... I’ll take the raise.... but The job is to educate and build young minds.

Not gonna participate in a walk out.
you are not helping children

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny how nobody ever compares the cost of living here with other states, when comparing teachers pay.
A salary of $36,000 in Wichita, Kansas should increase to $37,106 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
A salary of
$50,000
in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma should increase to
$50,917
in Little Rock, Arkansas.
A salary of $16,000 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma could decrease to $15,633 in Pueblo, Colorado

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh you’re absolutely right! By continuing to go and teach, care about about their educations, and trying to show them that they are more important than a few days off for a strike, I am totally neglecting them and their futures.

Shame on me.

Give me a break please. Good Gawd!

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/article/5579055

The Oklahoman

Oklahoma still trailing regional states in per-pupil spending for schools
By Samuel Hardiman Tulsa World Published: January 10, 2018 3:55 PM CDT Updated: January 10, 2018 3:57 PM CDT
17 shares
Advertisement

w640-9f636e67941ed9adbef79fe8fc0e881b.jpg

Image via Tulsa World
Federal data once again show Oklahoma trailing its regional peers in per-pupil education spending.

For Oklahoma to have matched Kansas in per-pupil common education spending during the 2015 fiscal year, it would’ve had to spend $1.6 billion more.

Kansas represents the high end of Oklahoma’s neighbors in per-pupil spending, spending $10,329 a year, while Oklahoma spends $8,075 per student. That’s according to the latest study from the National Center for Education Statistics, which was released this week. The per-pupil figure includes local and federal tax dollars.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh you’re absolutely right! By continuing to go and teach, care about about their educations, and trying to show them that they are more important than a few days off for a strike, I am totally neglecting them and their futures.

Shame on me.

Give me a break please. Good Gawd!
The number of unqualified teachers we have in the
Oklahoma
classrooms puts all students in our state at risk. Teachers who truly care about our students, in our state, understand that demanding action to correct the teacher shortage problem is the only solution at this point. By not doing anything, you are saying you do not care about students at all. Well, I guess if you teach students who are never going to contribute to society anyway, what does any of this matter?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom