Texting Driver Who Slammed Cyclist: I, Like, 'Just Don't Care'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some years ago my car was hit in the passenger side by a bicyclist coming off a side street. He got hurt, and I had a few thousand dollars damage to both doors, mirror, and one window.

Doesn't it also say that bicyclists are generally subject to the same traffic laws as other drivers? Little things like riding on the proper side of the road and obeying traffic lights, stop signs, and the like?

yes but the law also knows that we cant trip and trigger stop lights, so with that we can yield to stop signs as long as traffic is clear and on stop lights if traffic is clear proceed thru them as well. If I am at the front of the line and know that my lanes is going to get the green light shortly will leave the line once the turn lanes clear the intersection and it is safe. This allows me to get on the bike and rolling and up to speed thru the intersection before the cars are going thru it as well.

As I said everyone will always say it is too busy, I have been out on country roads out by my house and had people harass me. 1 car I will see for 15-20 minutes and they will stop to pester me. Ride in the city and people complain, so we never can win and sadly we lose in any incident against a vehicle.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
State law says that ANY wheeled vehicle on the street must obey the laws of the road - just like cars. They have to stop at all stop signs, yield to oncoming traffic, give (hand) signals when turning, changing lanes or stopping, yield the right-of-way, etc. But I would bet that 99.99% percent of them don't even know that.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes but the law also knows that we cant trip and trigger stop lights, so with that we can yield to stop signs as long as traffic is clear and on stop lights if traffic is clear proceed thru them as well. If I am at the front of the line and know that my lanes is going to get the green light shortly will leave the line once the turn lanes clear the intersection and it is safe. This allows me to get on the bike and rolling and up to speed thru the intersection before the cars are going thru it as well.

As I said everyone will always say it is too busy, I have been out on country roads out by my house and had people harass me. 1 car I will see for 15-20 minutes and they will stop to pester me. Ride in the city and people complain, so we never can win and sadly we lose in any incident against a vehicle.

Nobody is getting down on bicycles, it's just that busy downtown intersections did not take them into consideration when they were constructed. A dedicated bicycle lane could alleviate many of the problems inherent with competing with traffic. Simply painting a line on an existing lane without expanding it causes the driver of a motor vehicle to try to dodge the bicyclist. Often bringing the vehicle close to the oncoming traffic of the other lane or merging into the adjacent one way lane where there may already be another vehicle. Motorcycles don't have this problem because they can keep up with the flow of traffic.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think bicyclists should have to carry insurance just in case. Oh and wear seatbelts. They should also have a minimum speed limit. And why can you ride a bicycle on a street but not a skate board, atv/utv or golf cart? And what's with them sit down bicycles?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully with the MAPS4 project there will be more lanes eventually here, I know Edmond is putting in 117 miles of cycling lanes eventually. just wish more cities would get on board as well.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't stand the cyclists that ride in front of my house. I live on a busy country road, one that is used for several cycling events each year. They train on it too. The problem is that whenever there is more than one, they will 2, 3, even 4 abreast, blocking the entire road. State states that cyclist can't ride more than 2 abreast, period. When you are on a busy road, don't ride 2 wide, just ride 1 wide on the shoulder. be respectful of the drivers and we will be respectful of you!

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the OP, she's an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to drive a car.

As to the rest, just because you have the "right of way" doesn't mean you are immune from being run over. When I ride, I do it for the enjoyment. I can see where fighting with automobiles would be all that fun. If there are roads that cause an issue for bikers, maybe they should be avoided by bikers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom