Texting Driver Who Slammed Cyclist: I, Like, 'Just Don't Care'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong! The law says that bicyclists must ride as far right as PRACTICABLE, not possible. That means we ride as far right as is reasonable and prudent. Small things in or on the road that a motorist cannot notice will send a bicyclist on a skinny-tired racing bicycle skittering to the pavement. You are NOT entitled just because you operate a fossil-fule burning dinosaur! And don't get me started--I have lost friends to fools in cars.

If your vehicle can't handle the condition of road you are riding, then you are part of the problem. I don't drive in the bike lane, don't ride in mine.

And this is coming from a guy who used to be an avid bicyclist, I rode everywhere.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dang I would a never guessed there was so much bicycle animosity.

No wonder I can't get an answer bout insurance or skateboarders or atvs on the road.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your vehicle can't handle the condition of road you are riding, then you are part of the problem. I don't drive in the bike lane, don't ride in mine.

And this is coming from a guy who used to be an avid bicyclist, I rode everywhere.
As to road conditions--is it cars or bicycles that damage the road? I am not part of the problem if I ride my bike down a road littered with glass, nails, 2x4s and all the other debris that comes along with the car-centric lifestyle. You may find a used inner tube or two along the roadway left by irresponsible cyclists, but all the rest of that junk on the roadway is dropped off of/thrown out of motor vechicles. Those pot holes, ruts, and ripples in the pavement are made by weather and motor vehicles. As to bike lanes--lobby to change the law. In Oklahoma, a bicycle is a legal vehicle, subject to all the rights, rules, and responsibilities on any other vehicle. I'm not riding in YOUR road, I'm riding on OUR road.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang I would a never guessed there was so much bicycle animosity.
A little history. A hundred and five years ago or so, the speed limit in Oklahoma City was 8 mph. Automobiles, horses, and bicyclists all moved at just about the same speed--8 mph. It is the feeling of omnipotence that the modern automobile gives its owner that fules the animosity toward bicyclists. How dare those fools in spandex get in my way! Me, the great and powerful wizard of Oz! In 1909, the auto and the bicycle co-existed because their owners were travelling about the same speed, sharing a similar perspective.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why so few Oklahoma highways have shoulders on the roads. I see road crews repaving the highway over and over, but they don't widen it to put shoulders on it, like down in Texas. Shoulders on the highways are a good investment.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, a bicycle is a legal vehicle, subject to all the rights, rules, and responsibilities on any other vehicle. I'm not riding in YOUR road, I'm riding on OUR road.

this would be an incorrect statement. if it were true, then bicycles would be required to be registered, display tags and carry insurance and have a legal license to operate. I don't mind the bikes on the street, it's the double standard that goes with them. I'm required to give them right of way when they are operating on a surface street, yet I'm not allowed to drive around Lake Hefner on the bike path, as that would be dangerous for the bikers. (and pedestrians who also have the right of way if they step into the street).

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes but the law also knows that we cant trip and trigger stop lights, so with that we can yield to stop signs as long as traffic is clear and on stop lights if traffic is clear proceed thru them as well. If I am at the front of the line and know that my lanes is going to get the green light shortly will leave the line once the turn lanes clear the intersection and it is safe. This allows me to get on the bike and rolling and up to speed thru the intersection before the cars are going thru it as well.

As I said everyone will always say it is too busy, I have been out on country roads out by my house and had people harass me. 1 car I will see for 15-20 minutes and they will stop to pester me. Ride in the city and people complain, so we never can win and sadly we lose in any incident against a vehicle.

I've no hate for cyclists - I rode a lot of miles for a good many years. The only point to my post was that "sometimes" the cyclist bears as much or more responsibility for an accident as the motorist. I don't want to run over anyone in my car any more than I ever wanted to get run over by someone else when I was riding.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not taking sides here, but it's amazing to me how ignorant folks are about OK laws concerning vehicles on the roads. Guess what folks. Like it or not cars and bicycles are considered vehicles in OK and share the same laws. There are some restrictions for bicycles, e.g. not allowed on limited access highways. Yes, I'm a biker and wear my spandex bulges proudly! LOL. And I am also a car driver that likes to get where I'm going fast...I don't like anything slowing me down. But my advice is that everyone needs to take a chill pill and get over your worries about getting everywhere fast. Bikers will get in your way, they'll annoy you, they'll run stop signs and generally annoy the crap out of you. Yes, I'm a biker and I said it...all of it. A vast majority of bikers break the laws of the road every time they ride. Sorry but this will not stop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom