Texting Driver Who Slammed Cyclist: I, Like, 'Just Don't Care'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I get ticked, I'm never thinking "Oh that jerk, he deserves what he gets." I'm thinking "Oh God this idiot nearly made me a killer." I could give a crap about right away or whose at fault. If some fool does something stupid on a bike or a motorcycle and I'm the poor guy that left his wife a widow I don't sleep any better "because it was his fault", dead is dead. And the same goes for a driver behind the wheel of the car and them making poor decisions BUT the difference is that cyclists and bikers that make poor decisions have decided to make themselves exponentially more vulnerable. In that environment I'd expect to see cyclists and bikers as the most courteous and aware folks on the road, and most times they are doing their part but when a biker makes a feeble attempt at mean mugging while he's pacing me or a cyclist shoots a car driver the bird I do typically think "Eff that guy, he has no business out here on the road." But it's because they are out there creating opportunities for people to be in incidents that can haunt them the rest of their lives.

Obviously I'm neither a biker nor a cyclist.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's get on board here and admit that Oklahoma could use more shoulders on their highways. This way bicyclists will be riding on the shoulder, with plenty of room, and we won't have to try to drive around them and risk hitting another vehicle head on.

okiebindernut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I get ticked, I'm never thinking "Oh that jerk, he deserves what he gets." I'm thinking "Oh God this idiot nearly made me a killer." I could give a crap about right away or whose at fault. If some fool does something stupid on a bike or a motorcycle and I'm the poor guy that left his wife a widow I don't sleep any better "because it was his fault", dead is dead. And the same goes for a driver behind the wheel of the car and them making poor decisions BUT the difference is that cyclists and bikers that make poor decisions have decided to make themselves exponentially more vulnerable. In that environment I'd expect to see cyclists and bikers as the most courteous and aware folks on the road, and most times they are doing their part but when a biker makes a feeble attempt at mean mugging while he's pacing me or a cyclist shoots a car driver the bird I do typically think "Eff that guy, he has no business out here on the road." But it's because they are out there creating opportunities for people to be in incidents that can haunt them the rest of their lives.

Obviously I'm neither a biker nor a cyclist.

We have the same feelings about this issue. I live out in the country and there are alot of cyclists that ride out there. There are also alot of hills and every intersection can be considered a dangerous one. The area also has lots of farmers ( myself included ) hauling hay or tractors or god knows what. Then there is the lake traffic. Drivers that are pulling boats, who shouldn't be pulling any kind of trailer. They greatly exceed the speed limits and a large percentage of them are drunk, stoned, or both. I don't want to kill anyone's husband, wife, mom, dad, child, etc. I don't want to sound like I just don't want them around where I live. I just wish they would understand the danger they are putting themselves in and go somewhere safer.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the same feelings about this issue. I live out in the country and there are alot of cyclists that ride out there. There are also alot of hills and every intersection can be considered a dangerous one. The area also has lots of farmers ( myself included ) hauling hay or tractors or god knows what. Then there is the lake traffic. Drivers that are pulling boats, who shouldn't be pulling any kind of trailer. They greatly exceed the speed limits and a large percentage of them are drunk, stoned, or both. I don't want to kill anyone's husband, wife, mom, dad, child, etc. I don't want to sound like I just don't want them around where I live. I just wish they would understand the danger they are putting themselves in and go somewhere safer.

The routes they choose are terrible. The state highways for the most part are unshouldered and bicyclists have said repeatedly on this thread how they must avoid getting too close to the curb. As much as I have seen the highways resurfaced over and over, it seems like shoulders could be put on these highways. Not just for bicyclists, but for everyone. Slower traffic could ease onto the shoulder and let people pass, Amish with their horse drawn buggies could travel on the shoulder instead of on the highway, drunks swerving all over the road could be more safely avoided.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wish they would understand the danger they are putting themselves in and go somewhere safer.
You have no idea how much it saddens me to admit it, but I DO understand the danger I put myself in when I ride anywhere there is automobile traffic. Too many of my friends have been maimed or killed by motorists for me NOT to understand the danger I'm in when cycling on a public road. The reality, though, is that there is no safe place. Automobile traffic abounds--everywhere, all the time. After the death of my friend (mentioned earlier in this thread), and a close call of my own, I've all but stopped riding my bike. So, yes, I do understand the danger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom