The Glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember back in 1985 or 1986 that a writer wrote an article for a gun magazine saying that because of the lack of external safeties, it would never be accepted by law enforcement.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember back in 1985 or 1986 that a writer wrote an article for a gun magazine saying that because of the lack of external safeties, it would never be accepted by law enforcement.

I have seen videos of a few leo's that shouldn't carry them.:doh:
Don't forget to use the safety between your ears.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first semi-auto was a Glock 23C. Best I can say is that it is a "Firebreather".

When I purchased a couple of Springfield XD's (40 and 45), I considered selling the 23C. Went to the range again and fired it and changed my mind. I doubt I will ever sell it or give it away.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a die-hard 1911 fan, I can say that there are several reasons why I can recommend Glocks. It doesn't hurt that I'm a Glock armorer and have at least a little inside knowledge as to how and why things are regarding Glocks.

The 1911 is a great design (and one which is not going anytime soon) built at a time when it was completely revolutionary by a genius of gun designer, John Moses Browning. While it was his design, he certainly designed it for a customer and a set of requirements set forth by a military for combat effectiveness. Fast forward +70 years, and you will find Gaston Glock in the exact situation, except Gaston was not a firearms designer.

The 1911 is a fantastic platform which requires a lot of human processes because of 1) the time and manufacturing process available and 2) because of the composition of the parts. The Glock is able to capitalize on modern manufacturing processes and materials which were not available to Browning.

:sorry1:

*** Spoiler - For the Church of the 1911, what follows may be considered sacrilegious. You have been warned! ***

They also go bang every time and they are all McDonald's identical to one another. They are incredibly safe, boringly reliable, and upgrades/components/etc are available everywhere except for Wal-Mart so you can your Glock your own.

Simply put, the Glock revolutionized handgun design and took Brownings ideals and went one step further. For the vast majority of folks, I would recommend the Glock because of the extreme tight adherence to Gaston's principles and mechanical tolerances, meaning very little variability in the product, parts, form, function, etc. I would even go so far as to say that if Browning were designing a new handgun, he would have most likely put many of the innovations in that Glock did with a much smoother trigger.

I do have to say that I will never be without my 1911 (my Colt Model 70 which was sent back to Colt's custom shop and reworked, polished, etc) or my Steyr M9A1. The 1911 is an absolutely amazing piece of mechanical engineering and aesthetic art. I chose the Steyr because some of Glock's engineers wanted to improve on Gaston's designs, but Gaston would not allow them to implement, so they went to Steyr Mannlicher to produce what I call Glock 2.0. Can I just tell you that the trigger on my Steyr is almost as good as a nice single action trigger instead of the revolver-like mush Glock calls a trigger? :)

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner, I also recommend Glocks to most folks that ask.
I can not abide yours and others comments that "they always go bang".

The supernatural image that many try to give to glock pistols, that they never malfunction, break parts or blow up in your face is simply not correct.

They are however great tools with enough different models to fit nearly any job.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct.

As more of a clarification, Glocks do NOT have a fully supported chamber causing the infamous "Glock KaBoom" with some 40cal ammunition. I will NOT recommend a Glock anyone wanting a 40cal weapon.

Also, my point with the reliability is due to their simplicity of design and the manufacturing of the tolerances. As with anything else that is a mechanical product, parts will break and issues will occur, but they are far fewer with Glocks due to their inherent design considerations, their manufacturing tolerances, and their fewer number of individual components.

Also notice that my PWD/EDC is NOT a Glock, and my go-to for Z-Day is my 1911.

Latest posts

Top Bottom