Thoughts for the Dads of Daughters...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I married 52 years ago this past December. We came from different worlds and met in the middle while serving in the military. She was a Navy Corpswave and I was a Jarhead. She was an Okie and I was a Newyork’n. She was a Country Girl and I was a Boy raised in the NYC Suburbs. She’s Choctaw and my ancestry comes from the British Isles. She’s still my girlfriend! I never met her parents after after we were married, so I never asked permission from anybody; but I always treated her family as my own and they treated me in kind. I wouldn’t trade my Country Girl for all the Citified Women in the world……!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did ask. I was nervous and took the ring with me. Spent 13k on the thing at a time when I barely had enough to cover my bills and save a few pennies toward our new house we were hoping to get. It was a fat 2c rock.
We took a trip to Walmart together, me in the passenger seat of his truck. I nervously told him I had something I wanted to ask him. Fumbled the ring out of my pocket and asked, holding the ring up. He laughed a big belly laugh and said, "Well Tinker, I don't care if you marry my daughter! As long as she's in on it I think that'll be just fine. You spent too much on that rock though!"
That broke the ice and we talked for the next 30 minutes about our plans for a house, my goals for the future, and how that fit in with her goals. To this day we're good friends.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked. And I know my FIL appreciated it. We sat down in his den, talked about the Bible and what marriage meant and what gods expectations of both of us towards him and each other are. I was way too nervous and don’t remember all of it, but I know he compared marriage to the Holy Trinity and how it doesn’t work without all 3. In the end he said the decision was his daughters but that as long as we based our marriage around God he would support us.

That is a convo I wish I could have recorded to listen too again

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I call BS too.

Oh it's not BS.
Maybe "excommunicate" wasn't the right word - I do know that word came up a lot at that time. Her family freaked out, refused to have anything to do with her, told her she was no longer welcome at her church.
Absolute saints, taking in foster kids, generous, decent folks.

Until she decided to marry outside the faith. After that, you'd think she'd been convicted of molesting baby seals.

A couple years later her sister did something similar and they asked her to change her name. (she didn't)

Latest posts

Top Bottom