Thoughts for the Dads of Daughters...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I asked either . . . he would've kicked me out if he didn't like me so I guess I just assumed it was okay.

Our SIL did call and ask my wife and I for permission though . . . but he already knew we approved. It was just a courtesy. :)

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had asked her parents for their blessing I wouldn't be married right now. Well, that is if I took their answer seriously. Funny thing is, of my wife and her 2 sisters, my wife is the only one that hasn't been divorced at least once. My thought always was, I'm not asking her family to marry me, only her, so only her answer matters. 21+ years of marriage later and I think I was right.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't ask either. I also didn't let them sew the bed sheet down around me when we went on vacation a couple of times before we were married either lol. When the time comes for my daughter to marry, I don't expect him to have to ask, Lord knows he'll have already been through enough and should know what he's getting into by then.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never asked anyone. First wife's parents were staunch Catholics and were absolute pieces of feces when they found out a heathen was banging their daughter. Church ex-communicated her for marrying me. Real nice folks.

My forever wife was the gem of the whole family, didn't need anyone's blessing and neither did I. I can't imagine her needing anyone's permission to do anything, lol.

I honestly don't believe I could stand being with anyone that wasn't independent enough to just do whatever they want.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my father in law out of courtesy before asking my wife to marry me. I would expect the same courtesy from anyone that would ask my daughter in the future. It’s not so much asking permission in my opinion as it is a courtesy and stating your intentions to the parents of who you are asking. It also depends how close the family you are marrying into is whether you need to ask or not like some stated above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom