Too Hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh...

I thought this was another BB thread.

:lookaroun

I was just gonna say ... I like hot weather but this is a bit much ... And for the record, all you guys who are saying we had it worse last summer, you are only kinda right. We had MORE days in a row of 100+ weather but this year has been HOTTER by a couple of degrees average since the middle of July, I believe.

No, I don't have a link but Mike Morgan said it was so, so ... ;)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you mention this, Ronny. I really, really don't like OK summers but I got to thinking that during the Dust Bowl, our grandparents went through this kind of weather and didn't have a clue that air conditioning would ever be invented. I think about what it must have been like to try to sleep at night in the heat while storms blew dust everywhere. My grandma said they hung oil-soaked canvas over the windows to trap the dust before it made it inside.When I think about the things my grandparents and great-grandparents endured it makes me realize how good we have it and how tough those people were.

My grandma said the same thing. She also told me of folks who lost relatives to what she called "dirt drownings". Apparently the dust was so dry and fine that if folks went out without a wet covering over their mouths and noses that it would get in their lungs and cause pneumonia. She said it was a horrible way to die. I don't doubt it, can you imagine?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:lookaroun

I was just gonna say ... I like hot weather but this is a bit much ... And for the record, all you guys who are saying we had it worse last summer, you are only kinda right. We had MORE days in a row of 100+ weather but this year has been HOTTER by a couple of degrees average since the middle of July, I believe.

No, I don't have a link but Mike Morgan said it was so, so ... ;)

^^This is correct, I believe we have had, not straight, 45 days at or above 100 this year so far.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Went to Thunderbird Range yesterday to help a couple of youngsters sight in their rifles, and to run a couple of mags through my AR.

It was 115 in the shade, but there was a good breeze at the shooting benches.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I always seem to enjoy shooting no matter how hot it is.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you mention this, Ronny. I really, really don't like OK summers but I got to thinking that during the Dust Bowl, our grandparents went through this kind of weather and didn't have a clue that air conditioning would ever be invented. .

I hear you! I was between 7-8 years old when my grandparents got our first water cooled evaporative fan. That thing was great. I slept under it on a pallet on the floor.

I never had to experience the dust bowl storms, but we still had lots of dust storms when I was growing up. That dust/sand would blow in from down south of Red River and the sky would be red. It was impossible to keep the dust out. I can still remember sleeping on sheets with sand in there with me.

Just for kicks, here's a picture of me on the old farm where I was born about 3 1/2 miles north of Healdton. You're looking at the plumbing and the old smoke house. That smoke house was newer than the shotgun house we lived in. I don't ever recall even thinking about the heat. If it got hot, I just ran down and jumped in the old muddy tank (pond to some of you).

Man, I've not had it so good since.

View attachment 23041

Latest posts

Top Bottom