Top Shot 1000 Yard Shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Could someone here who's AF tell me who in the Air Force would be a sniper that saw combat, like George claims?

I'm assuming George isn't one of the AFSOC hardasses like Ashley.

The USAF doesn't have "snipers" per se but they do have "counter-snipers". They go to a Precision Engagement course which uses the same curriculum as the Army sniper school and they are used in a defensive roll only. More like perimeter defense.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The USAF doesn't have "snipers" per se but they do have "counter-snipers". They go to a Precision Engagement course which uses the same curriculum as the Army sniper school and they are used in a defensive roll only. More like perimeter defense.

That makes sense, since George is Security Services or whatever it's called.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought is was funny that George was whining about the one shot thing myself. it looked like the rife had been zeroed in at 1000 yards and they just had to make adjustments for the wind. IMO

lcunningham

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

PJ teams don't have a sniper qualified member? Never worked with PJ so not sure worked with everyone else in soc though.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
PJ teams don't have a sniper qualified member? Never worked with PJ so not sure worked with everyone else in soc though.
I'm not sure if they do or not, however... the official designation of a PJ may be "medical". I was a medical officer and was allowed to attend the Precision Engagement course, not for my AFSC but only as a training tool since I was shooting on the rifle and sniper teams. PJ's may or may not have attended the course (I don't know) but still would not have been awarded the B4 designator since they are medical. Just my non-expert .02

Verdigris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I mean. I've met a lot of people who claimed to be badasses of some kind or another (shooting, martial arts, whatever), but the people I've met who verifiably meet that qualification (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belts, former Rangers, whatever) are never cocky about it at all. They never have anything to prove like George seems to.

Just kind of as an aside, now that I think about it. Nice guys don't make for good TV generally. When everyone's polite, it's boring. This may be exactly why George was picked over other candidates. They needed an agitator to make it worth watching.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just kind of as an aside, now that I think about it. Nice guys don't make for good TV generally. When everyone's polite, it's boring. This may be exactly why George was picked over other candidates. They needed an agitator to make it worth watching.

It could be editing too. Jorge Gurgel came off as kind of a douche on The Ultimate Fighter but I've been to a couple of his seminars (and done a couple private lessons with him) and he's really nice in person.

03on22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope Joe takes out George, and I'm rooting for either Ashley or Jamie to take the whole thing. And how many Bass Pro cards does Jamie have now? 4? That's not a bad prize to walk away with.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

PJ's and other AFSOC types do have sniper qualified folks....but George is a Security Forces "Sharpshooter", as defined by the Special Experience Identifier (SEI) assigned to folks who graduate the "Close Precision Engagement Course". Different school (not the same as Army or Marine sniper schools) and far different mission and employment.

It speaks to his character that he has not disavowed the use of the term AF Sniper to describe him. Not that he has much choice on the TV show production side, but he has held on to his claim of being a sniper on the History channel forums.

He still deserves some respect for taking the oath and performing in a tough job, but taking credit for being something you are not is a bit souring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom