Tornado Shelters- Flat Safe, Ground Zero or Taylors??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just thinking about providing one at one of my rent houses that doesnt have one and trying to keep the cost down.

Never compared prices, but had some rural Osage county friends buy the big fiberglass models that are basically US military storage containers with a lid on them.

One had some heavy runoff from rains a couple of years ago and one end came up out of the ground.

Nothing wrong with the fiberglass models, its making sure the installation involves enough concrete to keep it from floating up.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Educate me, please. What is the reason? Cost? Structural? Im curious as to what to put in my other place.

Mainly due to metal being underground....all 4 that I own have issues where the pint is showing surface rust in spots so they need to be maintained...also 1 had a faulty weld seam and seeped water. Seems like the fiberglass forms don't have these problems.

You have to be careful with fiberglass installation. If not properly strapped, with concrete in the bottom of the hole, they will float out of the ground. Make sure to get references.

A metal one can float as well...it's all about correct install more than the material used.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to go glass next time as well; I have a Ground Zero and it's fine, but you can rock back and forth on the floor and hear (and feel) the water slosh under the shelter. I can't imagine there's any prep that will keep that from rusting out eventually. I'd also go bigger. I thought we'd be fine with the smaller unit, and though it works fine, it's a bit more cramped than I thought it would be, even after "testing" one out before I bought it.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the FlatSafe. The only thing I would do different is I would get the poly one. My neighbor got the poly and it sure "seems" clean and bright. Mine seems dark and damp (although it isn't).

Coz

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard the downside to the garage floor installed is that if gasoline gets spilled it might run down in there with you. Do they have a measure against this yet?

I have the kind out away from the house a bit (as seen in the back ground).

IMG_2168.JPG

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard the downside to the garage floor installed is that if gasoline gets spilled it might run down in there with you. Do they have a measure against this yet?

It's called don't store gasoline in your garage. Regardless, I'm pretty sure most shelters are installed to prevent liquid run-off flowing into the shelter.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. My FlatSafe "could" flood. There is nothing to stop liquid from flowing in. If I lived in an are prone to flooding I would think differently but I worry not that it would fill to the point I would have to get out or drown. But you never know.....what if my inground pool were to crack and release an underground river that shot my shelter out of the ground and it landed upside down and then a car fell on it? Then I'd really be in trouble.

Coz

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a safe room built into our house when the house was built. It doubles as a closet, emergency supplies locker, and secure storage for when we step out. It is easy access and egress, too, meaning you won't have to move a vehicle to get in it, or wait for someone to come rescue you from under the pile of debris on top of it after the storm.

If there is any way to put in a safe room, that's the way I would go, even if it means adding it to the side of your house. It might not even add any square footage to your property tax bill, either. Here in Logan County, storm shelters and safe rooms up to a certain size are exempt.

Woody

PS: It adds to the sale ability of your house as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom