Trapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a snare certification in OK but you have to have written landowner permission that says they have a coyote problem. I don't think you can snare anything but coyotes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about the snares, but thats interesting if we can use them after taking a class. I need to take the class for conibear traps, as we have a real beaver problem and the conibears are just the ticket

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am conibear certified but not snares. I am not sure it is worth my time around here to snare. If I was out west it might be more useful. I am only trapping for fun anyway. I just have not had the time in the last few years but my 15 yr old is wanting to learn so we may hang some steel this winter. I always buy the trapping license just in case I get a chance to set a few. I just noticed tonight that I have a beaver working the willows on the lake in my back yard.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
imhntn, dennishoddy : Get in touch with me when you get those beaver trap conibear jobbies. Me and my neighbor both have some beavers reeking havoc on half a dozen farm ponds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
imhntn, dennishoddy : Get in touch with me when you get those beaver trap conibear jobbies. Me and my neighbor both have some beavers reeking havoc on half a dozen farm ponds.

Contact your county game ranger, or NRCS agent and they might be able to direct you to somebody in your area that already has that license
Better yet, you can do it yourself if you set up just before dark with a CF rifle of just about any caliber. Right at dark, a single beaver will come out of the den and make a round around the pond. You can either shoot that beaver, or, wait, and the rest of the colony will come out. Up to you if you want to do it any way you want.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a friend accidentally snare a bob cat awhile back and he was really ticked. I had no clue how large their teeth were.

99% of the time I think they would flee from you, but that 1% could be scary.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Is it illegal to use snares in OK? I've been told it is, at least when I was living out in western OK. Lots of good places to snare out there I always thought.

It is illegal to snare in OK. That being said, if you have a Nuisance Wildlife Control license you can use snares on a nuisance call. I don't know about their use on your own land. I do know that as a landowner you have more leeway.

Not sure about the snares, but thats interesting if we can use them after taking a class. I need to take the class for conibear traps, as we have a real beaver problem and the conibears are just the ticket

The conibear class is no longer valid. Now if the landowner gets a nuisance depredation permit than he can have anyone use them under his permit. Don’t forget, beaver is great eating. And no, no pun intended.

Speaking of. Does anyone know of a formal trapping course available in the state?
The Oklahoma Fur Bearers have a great website at oktrapper.com. They also have demos and classes at their conventions. We also put on a youth trapping camp 2 days after Christmas. We teach trapping techniques and let the kids run their own trap line for 4 days. We teach them how to skin the animals and they take home their catch.

If you don’t have a kid, but still want to come out and learn a little bit, check out the website and call me. I’m the OFBA Secretary.

Yes they can be sold to my understanding if correctly tagged. I stand to be corrected, but it would be like a deer tag, where it can be donated to another individual as long as the other individual's name is put on the tag. As long as the paper trail(tag) stays with the animal your good to go.

Bobcats can be hunted or trapped. You need a hunting license, a Fur Bearers license, $10, I think, and if you trap you have to have a trapping license. Once the cat is harvested they must be taken to a game warden and have a CITES tagged affixed. It’s like a large zip tie that is individually serialized. You cannot sell any fur to anyone but a licensed fur buyer. We have 2 sells in Feb., one east and the other west if you want to sell them. Now if you were to have it tanned, then it is considered a cloth and you can do anything you want. I would suggest that you keep the CITES tag with it though.

Just a suggestion, if you take the bobcat to the game warden frozen and on the carcass, before freezing, cut a slit from under the lip up through the eye socket. Put a stick or pencil through it before putting in the freezer. This will allow the tag to be easily affixed.

Also, the rear haunches of a bobcat are good eating. I haven’t tried the rest of it, but I assume it would be just as good.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is so true.I don't consider myself a trapper as much as a predator caller.I really do enjoy trapping but it has gotten very difficult to get land to trap on. I have had the privelage of running a trap line a few times with a professional trapper and it is always a learning experience for me.

Scott

Scott R. is that you brother? I miss you man. When are we going back south to decimate the Texas predators? John W.

Latest posts

Top Bottom