Tulsa World editorial: Should the state allow concealed guns on college campuses? No

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Monday 8/11

Three legislators want the state to consider removing the ban on licensed concealed weapons on college campuses.

The proposal is due to be considered by a legislative study panel this fall. It is strongly opposed by state higher education officials.

“To put our university students, faculty and staff at risk this way makes absolutely no sense,” University of Oklahoma President David Boren told The Associated Press.

Michael Robinson, Oklahoma State University’s chief public safety officer, said he is concerned about an increase in suicides, the third-leading cause of death among people ages 15 to 24.

“It defies common sense to think a campus would be safer because we have more weapons on campus,” Robinson said.

We believe in the Second Amendment and support the state’s move to allow licensed concealed weapons. When that law was passed, there were those who said it would lead to Wild West scenes on city streets. They were wrong.

Keeping and bearing arms is a civil right. Concealing them is a licensed privilege in Oklahoma, meaning the state can regulate who does it and where they can do it. For example, you must be 21 and pass a firearms safety and training class to apply for a license.

The concealed weapon law outlines several places licensees cannot take their guns, including prisons, city council chambers and professional sporting arenas.

Except for a few narrow exceptions, college campuses also are off-limits. We think it ought to stay that way.

We think the college officials ought to do what they do best — educate. We hope they will be at the legislative study to show the facts behind their position. In the end, legislators should listen to our higher education experts. If they can show that allowing concealed weapons on campus makes school less safe, then it would be foolish to change the law.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinionho...cle_c4d9fd1a-e978-55ac-8b4a-7f350d4216c1.html

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Common sense says we must protect our children. Guns on campus is not keeping them safe. Just look at the shootings that have happened on campus. Allowing everyone to carry a gun is just asking for trouble. We have campus police to maintain the safety.

Same old argument.

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over,expecting a different result.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many shootings have occurred at colleges that permit CCW? Compared to those that don't permit CCW?

If they can show that allowing concealed weapons on campus makes school less safe, I'd love to see the data.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like he made a pretty good argument supporting campus carry. I'd like to see the data supporting restrictions of carry on campus.

We hope they will be at the legislative study to show the facts behind their position. .. If they can show that allowing concealed weapons on campus makes school less safe, then it would be foolish to change the law.

Campus carry is not forbidden by SDA but allowed with written permission from university president. There just aren't any admins that will allow it.

dugsok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sure as rain the mental ill, crazies, and the one wanting to do harm will surely obey the law. If however you believe this please contact me me at BR549 for information about the bridge I would sell, reasonable priced I might add

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a member of an organization called "students for concealed carry" and we are also taking part in the interim study at the capital. The main point of educators is that "oh all the 19 year olds who live in the dorms will kill themselves..." Nevermind the fact that, at present, a 19 yo is not old enough to even purchase, nevermind carry, a handgun concealed or otherwise. The goal of the students for concealed carry is to allow people who are already in possession of a HGL to continue to carry concealed onto a campus, like so many criminals already do

Latest posts

Top Bottom