Tulsa World editorial: Should the state allow concealed guns on college campuses? No

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But those points are exactly the ones the colleges and the media will demagogue in order to twist the proposal into a pretzel. Clear-headed individuals can easily understand your point and ultimate goal. The most affected group are those employed by colleges and the part-time adult students taking evening classes.

• Faculty and staff who have chosen to get a concealed carry permit.
  • Students age 21 and older who have chosen to get a concealed carry permit.
These are the same responsible folks you stand in line behind at the store or sit next to in church. If they've been background checked, trained and certified by the State of Oklahoma to carry concealed in those places why should their right be taken away from them when they cross the boundary of a public university?
And how does taking their rights away from them them make anyone safer?

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
  • Faculty and staff who have chosen to get a concealed carry permit.
  • Students age 21 and older who have chosen to get a concealed carry permit.
These are the same responsible folks you stand in line behind at the store or sit next to in church. If they've been background checked, trained and certified by the State of Oklahoma to carry concealed in those places why should their right be taken away from them when they cross the boundary of a public university?
And how does taking their rights away from them them make anyone safer?

The answer to your question? It doesn't. It's just people like Boren that don't want us to have guns on "his" campus. When in fact it's MY campus. And yours, and everyone else's.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many "letters" have been written by Oklahoma college presidents giving individuals the right to carry concealed on their campus?
To whom has this right been given and why? Wealthy donors? College administrators? People being stalked?
How many Oklahoma college presidents carry concealed?

Campus police are on duty and "only seconds away" so why would anyone possibly need to carry concealed on a college campus?

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many "letters" have been written by Oklahoma college presidents giving individuals the right to carry concealed on their campus?
To whom has this right been given and why? Wealthy donors? College administrators? People being stalked?
How many Oklahoma college presidents carry concealed?

Campus police are on duty and "only seconds away" so why would anyone possibly need to carry concealed on a college campus?

Not sure if that's a real question, or loaded with sarcasm?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of both.

In all of my posts, I'm suggesting some ideas and approaches that may be useful in debating campus officials and others arguing that the Second Amendment does not apply to public university campuses.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok very well, then my response is that they're not "seconds away." In fact they're 9 minutes away. As we found out this past January when everyone thought we had an active shooter scenario that turned out to be a false alarm. But, obviously, the police not knowing that going in were reacting as they were trained to react to a real scenario. Not sure if you've ever been shot at, but I can say with a bit of authority that 9 minutes in any such scenario is a f*cking eternity. For someone who's nervous, it takes about 10 seconds to burn through a 30 round magazine in an AR. So for anyone who's practiced reloading even a small bit, that's at least 4 magazines a minute. From a semi automatic rifle, with sustained rapid semi automatic fire. Let's just do some math: 4x30= 120 rounds per minute. Even conservatively saying he uses 2 rounds per person that's 60 victims per minute x 9 minutes is a lot of dead and injured people. Whereas a licensed concealed carrier could turn the response time for police being 9 minutes, into the response time for a responsibly armed citizen down to anything less than 9 minutes.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And secondly and perhaps more importantly, other scenarios in which a concealed handgun might be useful. During the commission of any regular crime. Because college campuses, like every other community, still has crime. Assaults, sexual assaults, robberies, all of these things happen on campus. I can't give you statistics, but I guarantee the universities in this state are not immune. That girl walking home from an archive project late on a Tuesday when the frat boys decide to have a party and are pissed that no girls came cuz it's a Tuesday? What's she supposed to do? That is the scenario that I envision when I see allowing concealed carry on campus actually being useful to someone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom