uninsured motorist insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, you only need it on one vehicle but it covers you in all your vehicles and even if you're injured in another person's vehicle. Do NOT drop UM coverage. Don't carry the minimum either. It's cheap.

I've been off work since September from a car wreck. My medical bills have likely already exceeded the at fault party's liability limits. I have an open UM claim on the policy of the car I was driving. If my claim's value exceeds those limits, I'll make a claim on my own UM policy. Right about now, I wish I had more UM coverage at the time of loss. I've since raised my coverage.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that anything other than collision and comp should be on the driver and not the vehicle? Make it a requirement of getting your license instead of your tags. Might work out with better rates for good drivers.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that anything other than collision and comp should be on the driver and not the vehicle? Make it a requirement of getting your license instead of your tags. Might work out with better rates for good drivers.

I don't think that's workable. If you loan your car to a friend, do you want to have to check to see if his coverage is in force, or if it's adequate?

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did your premium go down when you "dropped" the coverage from all but one vehicle?

A little over $500 a year in savings. We bumped the coverage up on the vehicle we left it on. According to my Agent they have to put it on every vehicle unless you elect not to have it or drop it from an existing vehicle. Either way I am covered in all vehicles I have.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really. I can definately see why liability and med coverage follow the car instead of the driver. UM coverage may be on a car but the car doesn't really affect it. You can move it to any car policy in your household and it shouldn't change the rate.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dropping it is a stupid idea. Every week I have several people who call me for representation who are screwed because the other party does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did your premium go down when you "dropped" the coverage from all but one vehicle?
It should. You don't have to carry UM on multiple cars because the coverage will apply to you no matter what car you're in. But if you do carry it on multiple cars, the coverage can stack. If you have 25/50 UM on 2 cars in your house, you can receive (as an individual) up to 50k in UM benefits (25+25). It is typically just cheaper to have 50/100 on one policy though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom