uninsured motorist insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should. You don't have to carry UM on multiple cars because the coverage will apply to you no matter what car you're in. But if you do carry it on multiple cars, the coverage can stack. If you have 25/50 UM on 2 cars in your house, you can receive (as an individual) up to 50k in UM benefits (25+25). It is typically just cheaper to have 50/100 on one policy though.

Thats pretty much what we did. I was paying for lower amount per vehicle on 4 vehicles. Dropped all but one and jacked up the coverage and saved some money

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that anything other than collision and comp should be on the driver and not the vehicle? Make it a requirement of getting your license instead of your tags. Might work out with better rates for good drivers.

not workable. theres only about a 50/50 chance the other driver even has a license.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll rephrase what I said. I'd seriously consider having another good agent give you a second opinion on your coverages next renewal.

I've been retired from the business for 13 years, so I'm sure the changes have been numerous. However, I can remember rating this stuff many times and I believe the charge was per vehicle. Each company, of course, has their own method of rating.

We're probably dealing in semantics here. The problem I had with your earlier description was the term "dropped coverage".

I'm assuming this is a renewal you're discussing with your agent. So, let's say you have 3 cars and have been charged $50 per car for UIM. Now, they're charging you $145 for one car, with increased limits, even though you still have three cars. Given that these figures are for illustration only, is this the general situation? It could be if you had a rate decrease on your Liability on the renewal.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right (as I'm an adjuster, not an agent) you cannot purchase more UM/UIM than you yourself carry in liability. So if you want to increase you UM, you may need to pay to up your liability BIPD as well.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I think you're right. You can carry less, or none, but, you can't carry more than your primary liability limits.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I
We're probably dealing in semantics here. The problem I had with your earlier description was the term "dropped coverage".

I'm assuming this is a renewal you're discussing with your agent. So, let's say you have 3 cars and have been charged $50 per car for UIM. Now, they're charging you $145 for one car, with increased limits, even though you still have three cars. Given that these figures are for illustration only, is this the general situation? .

Yes this is the general situation. I was wrong earlier when I said dropping coverage. I was getting the story from my wife who had talked to our agent. She had me confused as to what they were wanting to do so I called and talked to him and he explained everything to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom