USPS: Don’t send checks by mail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

yup - sent a certified check for a gun and it finally got there in a week -- sent a check in a birthday card a short distance and it never made it = $25 to cancel check and $20 to send $$ via Walmart - what a deal. -- all gifts will be in person from now on. USPS is more focused on handling packages of other shippers, etc and mail is at the bottom of list -- except junk mail -- no problem with junk mail.

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the PO back around the 1st of the year and a guy came in with a shoebox full of envelopes. He had found them shoved in his mailbox on a rural road. Someone had opened all the Christmas cards and taken whatever might have been in them. Postmaster said it was bad around Christmas / New Years.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Postal inspectors used to regularly seed mail with money to try to find any thieves. Nowadays they’re probably attending some kind of diversity training. My dad just had over $5000 in checks altered that he mailed from his box in front of the house. The bank ended up replacing the funds but it was still a major hassle. I am not sure why anyone would write a paper check these days and it has never been a good idea to send cash in the mail.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a few older folks (60-80 years old) that don’t trust online payment and will only pay by check. I think it is an understanding how online payment works in their part.

I inform them that I have been paying my all recurring bills online for over 15-20 years and never had a problem. They scoff at me.

BTW. Using Apple Pay with your cell phone is safer than using your debit card as Apple Pay uses a separate number than your debit card and need cell phone authentication (PIN or face id) for payment.

I get people that scoff at me when I tell them that Apple Pay is safer than using a debit card.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a few older folks (60-80 years old) that don’t trust online payment and will only pay by check. I think it is an understanding how online payment works in their part.

I inform them that I have been paying my all recurring bills online for over 15-20 years and never had a problem. They scoff at me.

BTW. Using Apple Pay with your cell phone is safer than using your debit card as Apple Pay uses a separate number than your debit card and need cell phone authentication (PIN or face id) for payment.

I get people that scoff at me when I tell them that Apple Pay is safer than using a debit card.
*Scoff*

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Seriously, it probably is safer from theft. I dont want any tech companies having any sort of access to my account though. When we start the citizen score system in America, they'll probably pull a Canada and shut freeze your purchasing power if you aint woke enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom