Vaca/anniversary ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magazine Mountain in Arkansas has some great cabins. Not a whole lot of things to do, but it's a great place to just 'chill'. There's a good restaurant in the Lodge. The cabins have charcoal grills and hot tubs. Hmmm......I may have just talked myself into going again!

Good luck on your choice!
Second this, close and reasonably priced. Beautiful area.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We haven’t been anywhere for 5 years. The virus, building and selling a house, etc has gotten in the way. Would like a cabin to chill for a few days. SE/E Oklahoma, hot springs Arkansas or something totally different. I’ll defer to you all’s that are up on this stuff and the best location,service,price etc
About that long ago, I took my wife back to Destin, Florida, for a short vacation trip. We were stationed at Eglin AFB in the mid-80's, and I'd been there in the late 70's, as well. Beach there looks like someone spilled a BIG bag of sugar there. She'd like to move back there, but I'd have to hit the lottery pretty hard to make that possible.

obnoxious narrator, but turn the sound off if it bothers you. My favorite restaurant there is The Back Porch. has been since about 1976.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of neat, scenic cabins in the Ozarks! The fairies are taking over Euricka Springs, Ark. but Moutain View is a great getaway, and they have jam sessions on the Court House square, and live shows at the Ozark Folk Center! pl;us the White River, some of the best fishing, including trout fishing, in the country! This river has produced several wot rld record Brown Trout! Further up stream is Caloco Rock Ark. a small historic town, and they have some really neat cabins situated on a bluff overlooking the White River, These cabins are near news, very b nicem, have fantastic views, NO CROWDS, and are a very good place to just relax, fish, and enjoy the scenery! The name of these cabins is, Calico Rock Cabins, I think? There are great, quiet places all along the White River, and Buffalo River, in the Ozarks! and it's not far to drive!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second this, close and reasonably priced. Beautiful area.
I have been there but never spent the night, It is a very scenic location to just enjoy the quiet, view, and relax! Another place is Petty Jean Mountain near Morrilton, Ark. Part of this is a State Park, and part was/is Winthrop Rockefeller's Farm car museum, etc. plus they have cabins, camping, a nice lake, and several times a year there is a Bluegrass Festival at the foot of Petty Jean Mountain, at Cypress Creek Park, in Adona Ark. see Cypress Creek Bluegrass Festival, on line, for dates/ info.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, On the subject of something else, I'm originally from South Louisiana Born in Baton Rouge and lived w/ Family from Grand Isle to St Francisville and Graduated Nichols State in Thibodeaux, Solo'd from the Municipal Airport in Schriever then did UPT at Reese AFB in Lubbock Tx. and my wife is a Sapulpa native. So, it's Old Home week for us when I get to Drive to New Orleans, stay at the Monteleon Hotel and Visit all the attractions like a Swamp tour or Breakfast at Brennan's for Bananas Foster or ride the Natchez Queen or Drive across Lake Pontchartrain to have Lunch at "Rips on the Lake" (the Trout Almandine is KILLER)! We don't drive the whole distance at once though. We usually stop in Natchitoches (pronounced Nack-A-Tish) and have supper at The Marina on Cane River Lake and we've had supper at a lot of places in Natchitoches. "A Bar Down The Road, Mamas and next door Papas on Jefferson, Steel Magnolias Bed and Breakfast (Yep, that's where the shot the movie) The Landing (now Closed) and many of others. Our favorite Restaurant however is Crawfords Catfish on Starring Lane in Baton Rouge or Middendorfs Seafood on I-55 North of New Orleans in a little fishing community named Manchac. They've been there since I was a child (1951) and sold when the owner sadly passed away but the changes have been fantastic. So, for a dream vacation it's South Louisiana for Barbara and Me. If you have any inclination to go, PM me and I'll give you a list of so many restaurants you'll have to come back! (Side Note, Months that end in "R" are the best for Quality Shellfish Crab, Shrimp, Oysters, etc). The Marina in Natchitoches, when they're available, serve the absolute best Fried Softshell Crab this Po Dumb Coon-Ass from Sout Loosiaannuh ever ate!!!

Oh and I did read all the other suggestions and all a great. Mine may be a bit of driving but I can personaly guarantee it'll be worth it. October is the most comfortable month. The climate is drier and cooler and Humidity is for real.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, On the subject of something else, I'm originally from South Louisiana Born in Baton Rouge and lived w/ Family from Grand Isle to St Francisville and Graduated Nichols State in Thibodeaux, Solo'd from the Municipal Airport in Schriever then did UPT at Reese AFB in Lubbock Tx. and my wife is a Sapulpa native. So, it's Old Home week for us when I get to Drive to New Orleans, stay at the Monteleon Hotel and Visit all the attractions like a Swamp tour or Breakfast at Brennan's for Bananas Foster or ride the Natchez Queen or Drive across Lake Pontchartrain to have Lunch at "Rips on the Lake" (the Trout Almandine is KILLER)! We don't drive the whole distance at once though. We usually stop in Natchitoches (pronounced Nack-A-Tish) and have supper at The Marina on Cane River Lake and we've had supper at a lot of places in Natchitoches. "A Bar Down The Road, Mamas and next door Papas on Jefferson, Steel Magnolias Bed and Breakfast (Yep, that's where the shot the movie) The Landing (now Closed) and many of others. Our favorite Restaurant however is Crawfords Catfish on Starring Lane in Baton Rouge or Middendorfs Seafood on I-55 North of New Orleans in a little fishing community named Manchac. They've been there since I was a child (1951) and sold when the owner sadly passed away but the changes have been fantastic. So, for a dream vacation it's South Louisiana for Barbara and Me. If you have any inclination to go, PM me and I'll give you a list of so many restaurants you'll have to come back! (Side Note, Months that end in "R" are the best for Quality Shellfish Crab, Shrimp, Oysters, etc). The Marina in Natchitoches, when they're available, serve the absolute best Fried Softshell Crab this Po Dumb Coon-Ass from Sout Loosiaannuh ever ate!!!

Oh and I did read all the other suggestions and all a great. Mine may be a bit of driving but I can personaly guarantee it'll be worth it. October is the most comfortable month. The climate is drier and cooler and Humidity is for real.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Man I love N’Awlins, Baton Rouge and everything about that part of Louisiana!

I’m also fond of Ernest’s in Shreveport!

Ya’ll got some good cookin’ down that way!

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I love N’Awlins, Baton Rouge and everything about that part of Louisiana!

I’m also fond of Ernest’s in Shreveport!

Ya’ll got some good cookin’ down that way!
Boy-O Boy did you hit the nail on the Head. La Restaurants are my bane. At a High I weighed 330 but now by the grace of God I've trimmed down to 256 and have a long term goal set at 220. Been tough but I am makin' progress. Have heard of Ernests but haven't been there yet, do you have any favorites either here or there or along the way?

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy-O Boy did you hit the nail on the Head. La Restaurants are my bane. At a High I weighed 330 but now by the grace of God I've trimmed down to 256 and have a long-term goal set at 220. Been tough but I am makin' progress. Have heard of Ernests but haven't been there yet, do you have any favorites either here or there or along the way?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, keep ‘em coming.
We’re familiar with the toas angelfire eagles nest areas. My grandparents bought land and build a house in 1969 close to the Lake Vallecito area NE of Durango. After my grandparents passed away we were able to stay at friends of theirs place up until 5 or six years ago. Love the mountains in Colorado.
Toas may still not be out of the question but we kinda want to go east. Just looked at the place that @turkeyrun posted. We love lake Murray and our kids literally grew up o the boat there. Funny, my wife just mentioned going down there and just hang out.
If your looking East, I’d recommend staying in a cabin at Lilies Landing on Lake Tanneycomo. 5 minutes from the center of Branson with the resort so quiet you think one should whisper. Zero traffic noise and the property is immaculate. Two fire pits adjacent to the river with free firewood to burn in them. Chairs provided.
Doesn’t take long after starting a fire on a cool evening to have others join and have a conversation. The 300’ long marina is set up for fishing by guests. Trout fishing from the dock can be excellent with the friendly staff willing to offer tips.
We’ve been going there for 32 years, every fall. They book up early so if that is your choice, call well in advance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom