Vacation Plans for This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have made plans to carry on with life and a vacation as best I can. I'm going sailing in Maine for a week on the Windjammer Stephen Taber in September. The Taber is the oldest continuously sailing vessel in the US; she was launched in 1871! She is a wooden, two-masted Schooner, 68 ft. length on deck with a beam of 23.5 ft. The Taber has a crew of four and can accommodate 20 passengers. My late wife saw on TV that Rachel Ray, the TV Chef, had taken her vacation aboard the Taber and how she raved about the sail and the food too! Every meal and even the breads are prepared on a vintage wood burning stove in the galley.

She sails the waters of Penobscot Bay off the Maine coast without the aid of an engine; she's totally powered by the wind. The particular trip I'm going on is called "The Great Schooner Race" - we'll culminate a week on the water with the largest gathering of tall ships in North America and have a race; a race the Stephen Taber won last year. She is one of 8 sailing vessels in The Maine Windjammer Association, they sail from their home ports in Rockland and nearby Camden, Maine.

I'm flying in to spend a few days in Rockland/Camden before I board and sail on the Taber, and then another few days afterwards Ill spend in Portland, Maine. I'll be in Maine for a total of 11 relaxing days. It is going to be great! Here's a few links if you're interested:

www.sailmainecoast.com
www.stephentaber.com
www.stephentaber.com/fleet-trips

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful, Joel! We're not planning anything. Who knows what the situation with CV-19 will be. We know folks who have cancelled planned vacations because of CV-19 restrictions, i.e. testing, date of testing, state-mandated quarantines, etc. Then, there is the hassle of flying. We'll stay close to home, whatever we do. Your trip certainly sounds enticing, though!

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Joel, I'm glad that you're gonna go ahead with this trip!

I plan to go to Colorado for a couple of weeks for a 'freestyle' vacation towards the end of summer. I've no certain itinerary and the events happening at the time/location will determine where I go and what I do. It'll be an adventure!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it has been a bit of a challenge to set it up, and it could still fall victim to Covid-19 if the restrictions get any tighter in either OK or ME. But I have a personal reason compelling me to make the trip, and I am determined to get there either this summer or if it gets the axe for this year, next summer to carry out my real mission.

I have another thread going where I am looking for a place to get a Rapid Results Covid test done on or around September 9th, because Maine currently requires either a 14-day quarantine or proof of a negative test taken within 72 hours of arriving in Maine. You also have to have the negative proof to be able to get a room in a hotel. So; that makes the quarantine thing pretty hard since you can't get a room in a hotel to do the quarantine in anyway if you don't have the negative test results!

If push comes to shove, I'll drive up there and rent a damn canoe!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alaska also has some crazy rules right now regarding the testing and quarantines. Friends cancelled a bear watching trip because of it. That's one trip I would really hate to have to cancel. They decided to just see what next year brings!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Florida for week last month. Had one hell of a time. Tested positive with the covid when I got back. Was it worth it? Maybe?

I saw that in an earlier post. Hope you and the rest of the family are doing okay and you have a mild case, from which you quickly recover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom