Vacation Plans for This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I want to drive back to Va. to visit family. The virus has us having second thoughts about it. We won't go until it starts cooling off some and they say the virus will get worse in the fall and winter. We can't afford to spend two weeks at each state line if things really get crazy. We have to many pets at home to worry about if we got stranded somewhere.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
My wife and I want to drive back to Va. to visit family. The virus has us having second thoughts about it. We won't go until it starts cooling off some and they say the virus will get worse in the fall and winter. We can't afford to spend two weeks at each state line if things really get crazy. We have to many pets at home to worry about if we got stranded somewhere.
Rent a motorhome and take the pets with you.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These sailing adventures on the Windjammers are all inclusive. In addition to 3 good meals aboard each day, there are appetizers and snacks throughout each day and plenty of wine tastings. One night, we will anchor up and row ashore on some isolated island in Penobscot Bay for an all-you-can eat Lobster bake on the beach with the usual trimmings, like corn on the cob, and more Lobsters, and steaks for the landlubbers. On the Stephen Taber's website, there's a video where the Captain says something like "We like to think of this as a dinner party that lasts a week.". In addition to Lobster, I love fresh Haddock from Maine too. I could eat that by the boatload! I figure if a chef like Rachel Ray can rave about the food, it should be good enough for me. Trip Advisor has fantastic reviews on these sailing adventures on the Taber too. I'm sure the other vessels in the Maine Windjammer fleet are very similar. I (we) chose the Taber after doing a bit of research, the Skipper's parents owned the boat before him. He's been sailing on it since he was 7 years old and has Captained/Owned it for the last 25 years. His wife is a wine expert, and well, I can hardly wait!

Sad, sad, sad...

...you are probably gonna be "Shanghaied" and will forever be known as a "swabbie" instead of a "jarhead."

(Seriously, have fun.)

We've recently been staying in hotels in Indiana, Oklahoma, and now in Wyoming and haven't had any restrictions or requirements for staying. Apparently, those requirements are in other states.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes
Sad, sad, sad...

...you are probably gonna be "Shanghaied" and will forever be known as a "swabbie" instead of a "jarhead."

(Seriously, have fun.)

We've recently been staying in hotels in Indiana, Oklahoma, and now in Wyoming and haven't had any restrictions or requirements for staying. Apparently, those requirements are in other states.

Maine I know of for sure. I think similar restrictions in Alaska and Colorado and New York. But hey, the whole crazy situation changes pretty regular so it's hard to keep with.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes

Maine I know of for sure. I think similar restrictions in Alaska and Colorado and New York. But hey, the whole crazy situation changes pretty regular so it's hard to keep with.

You are probably right. We were through Colorado a few days ago, but we stayed with family and never even went into any stores except to go to the bathroom at a small convenience store with gas pumps.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have made plans to carry on with life and a vacation as best I can. I'm going sailing in Maine for a week on the Windjammer Stephen Taber in September. The Taber is the oldest continuously sailing vessel in the US; she was launched in 1871! She is a wooden, two-masted Schooner, 68 ft. length on deck with a beam of 23.5 ft. The Taber has a crew of four and can accommodate 20 passengers. My late wife saw on TV that Rachel Ray, the TV Chef, had taken her vacation aboard the Taber and how she raved about the sail and the food too! Every meal and even the breads are prepared on a vintage wood burning stove in the galley.

She sails the waters of Penobscot Bay off the Maine coast without the aid of an engine; she's totally powered by the wind. The particular trip I'm going on is called "The Great Schooner Race" - we'll culminate a week on the water with the largest gathering of tall ships in North America and have a race; a race the Stephen Taber won last year. She is one of 8 sailing vessels in The Maine Windjammer Association, they sail from their home ports in Rockland and nearby Camden, Maine.

I'm flying in to spend a few days in Rockland/Camden before I board and sail on the Taber, and then another few days afterwards Ill spend in Portland, Maine. I'll be in Maine for a total of 11 relaxing days. It is going to be great! Here's a few links if you're interested:

www.sailmainecoast.com
www.stephentaber.com
www.stephentaber.com/fleet-trips

While I'm not a fan of sailing and most sail boats I do enjoy the Tall Ships. Comes from my my grandfather who was in the Navy and a lifelong sailor. He owned (now my mother and aunt) the worlds largest collection of David Thimgan paintings. He was a very well known marine artist that did incredible paintings of tall ships. I'm no art dude or know nothing about any sort of art but his paintings of tall ships is fantastic. Anyways, it is an artist you may enjoy checking out. Have a great trip. It odes look fun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have made plans to carry on with life and a vacation as best I can. I'm going sailing in Maine for a week on the Windjammer Stephen Taber in September. The Taber is the oldest continuously sailing vessel in the US; she was launched in 1871! She is a wooden, two-masted Schooner, 68 ft. length on deck with a beam of 23.5 ft. The Taber has a crew of four and can accommodate 20 passengers. My late wife saw on TV that Rachel Ray, the TV Chef, had taken her vacation aboard the Taber and how she raved about the sail and the food too! Every meal and even the breads are prepared on a vintage wood burning stove in the galley.

She sails the waters of Penobscot Bay off the Maine coast without the aid of an engine; she's totally powered by the wind. The particular trip I'm going on is called "The Great Schooner Race" - we'll culminate a week on the water with the largest gathering of tall ships in North America and have a race; a race the Stephen Taber won last year. She is one of 8 sailing vessels in The Maine Windjammer Association, they sail from their home ports in Rockland and nearby Camden, Maine.

I'm flying in to spend a few days in Rockland/Camden before I board and sail on the Taber, and then another few days afterwards Ill spend in Portland, Maine. I'll be in Maine for a total of 11 relaxing days. It is going to be great! Here's a few links if you're interested:

www.sailmainecoast.com
www.stephentaber.com
www.stephentaber.com/fleet-trips

I think this made our bucket list of things to do on our travels across this great country. Been to Maine once. Made it about 100' across the border turned around and took a pic of the welcome to Maine sign while standing in front of it so it could be added to the states I've visited over the years for business or pleasure.
Spending some time in that area sounds like a great place to visit during summer and following the fall foliage tour down the east coast in the fall is on my wife's list of things to do.
Currently moving around in Colorado and New Mexico enjoying the RV lifestyle. No masks despite the mandatory requirement that require them in businesses.
We do everything including grocery's online and use curbside pickup at other retail stores. Camp grounds and the mountain streams are mask free.
RV travel business is up 600% according to the internet. People don't want to fly, cruise ships shut down, train restrictions are like airlines, restrictions in the hotel/motel business make people not want to stay there and so on.
So, if family's want to do something it has to be outdoors. The Okla State Park system said that they had 100% usage from April until current dates because being outdoors is the only non-restrictive thing you can do in Ok.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...what's a vacation?

I've been thinking on this some, and the best explanation I could come up with is this: It's where you go somewhere to lay around and relax and do no work, at some personal expense, which can be done at home for free. The difference lies in the fact that you're usually lying around doing nothing someplace nice. Or at least different.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't been anywhere since last July, and certainly not looking like anything is coming up. I'd hoped to do something soon, The Boy is turning 15 in a few weeks, can't even do much of anything with him or for him. The Wife turns 29 again in Sept, and we actually have our 20th anniversary coming up in Oct, as well.

The way things look, I don't know that we'll get to do anything for any of those. I'm gonna cross my fingers, but also not gonna hold my breath.

This COVID-sheisse is for the birds.

<edit> Glad you're getting to do something interesting, Joel, it sounds like fun. I'd love to spend some time in Maine enjoying some seafood (except fish! blech!).

We had a trip all planned up to Vermont last Christmas to go skiing, had to cancel that due to finances, as well. <sigh> It frustrates me to see all my partners off doing vacation things, and we can't. I guess that's just how it is.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We finally sold our RV park and after 9 yrs completely retired, (Again). Had reservations to take the Alaska cruise in Sept and hit the western states we haven't been to. Thanks to covid, not gonna happen. Now it looks like we'll be spending vacation building a new house. Oh well, so much for retirement and vacations!

Latest posts

Top Bottom